There is no doubt that Android is the most popular mobile OS. But windows is not. Peoples are not enough interested to buy a Windows Phone or Mobile because of its apps availability issue. But Microsoft took a step to let users use android & iOS apps on their windows 10 mobile. It is now true. Though it is still in developing stage. But you can install and use your favorite android apps on some selected devices. Anyway, This project name is Astoria. If it can be 100% completed, You can easily use any apps on Microsoft’s mobile operating system.
I already said what it is. Actually, It has not been fully fully done yet. Now, Project Astoria supports some specific devices. These are –
- Nokia Lumia 435
- Nokia Lumia 730
- Nokia Lumia 920
- Nokia Lumia 925
- Nokia Lumia 928
- Nokia Lumia 929 (icon)
- Nokia Lumia 830
- Nokia Lumia 930
- Nokia Lumia 1520
- Nokia Lumia 635 (1GB RAM variant)
- Nokia Lumia 820
- Microsoft Lumia 950 (Not sure)
- Microsoft Lumia 950 XL (Not sure)
But, Be careful. Project Astoria has not been completed yet. It is still in beta. So, Attempting installation of android apps on your windows 10 mobile may ruin your device. If you love to take challenge, You can try it. Otherwise, I never recommend you to try this thing.
How to Install Android Apps on Windows Mobile Device:
To start the procedure, You will require a few things. These are Windows 10 Mobile installed device, a data cable and a Windows PC. Then, You will need Android SDK’s ADB tool and wconnect. You can download these from here. These are virus free. But i always recommend you to scan these files. Don’t use internet explorer to download these files. Use latest Chrome or Firefox. Now, Follow these instructions –
- First of all, Unzip the downloaded files.
- Now, Go to wconnect Folder. Then install IpOverUsbInstaller.msi and vcredist_x86.exe.
- Now take your windows 10 mobile in your hand. Navigate to Update & Security > For Developers. Now enable Developer mode. Also enable Device discovery.
- Again go to wconnect folder. Press and hold Shift from keyboard and right click on blank area by mouse. Then select Open command window here.
- Now connect your Windows 10 mobile via USB with your PC.
- In command prompt type wconnect.exe usb and hit Enter.
- Now, You will be asked for pairing code. Type the pairing code in command prompt and hit enter. You can get the code by taping on pair from Update & Security > For Developers of windows mobile.
- After doing it, Navigate to extracted ADB folder.
- Now open elevated command prompt like before.
- Now, Type adb devices and hit Enter. You will see the connected devices. If you see your device is connected, Follow the next step.
- Download any android app’s apk file to adb folder. Now in command prompt type install adb appsapkname.apk. Just replace the appsapkname with your downloaded apk file name. For example, My app’s apk file name is com.facebook.orca_126.96.36.199.81-21775698_minAPI21(armeabi-v7a)(320dpi).apk. So, My command will be like it –
install adb com.facebook.orca_188.8.131.52.81-21775698_minAPI21(armeabi-v7a)(320dpi).apk
- Now, Wait for completing the process. After installing the app, You will see success in command prompt.
Video: Installing Android Apps on Windows 10 Mobile
You may become confused. So, You also can watch this video to understand more clearly how to install android app on windows mobile.
Update: This method may not work now. Because, Microsoft is not supporting it anymore.
Feature image source: pocketnow