How To Block Websites On Your PC or Mac Without Any SoftwareAugust 7, 2018
- First of all, Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.
- In etc folder you will see a file named hosts. Just copy it to your desktop or anywhere else. Because Windows won’t give you any permission to edit this hosts file from etc folder.
- Now open this file with Notepad or Notepad++. And obviously, you have to open the newly copied file from desktop or where you copied the hosts file.
- Go to the bottom of hosts file in notepad.
- Now type “127.0.0.1 example.com”. Replace example.com with your desired website address which you want to block. Suppose i’ll block YouTube.com. So i have to type 127.0.0.1 YouTube.com like the picture below.
- Now save it by pressing CTRL+S from your keyboard.
- You have already done 90%. Now copy the modified hosts file to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc. I mean you have to replace the old hosts file in etc folder with newsly modified hosts file.
- Now try to visit YouTube.com and obviously you can’t visit it. Because this site has been blocked by hosts file.
- Open Terminal.
- Now, Type sudo nano /etc/hosts and hit enter. You may be asked to input admin credentials. Just do it.
- Now, Add your desired like above method for windows.
- Save it.
- At first, Login into your router admin. To do this, You may have to access to router’s local ip address something like http://192.168.0.1 by your web browser. Then, Login with username and password.
- Then, Go to Security and find something like web filtering or parental control etc.
- Now, Add the website address you want to block.
- Restart your router.
You may want to stop others from accessing specific websites from your PC, Mac or home network. In current situation, This is really easy to block a website. There are so many third-party tools available to do it. All modern internet security software and firewalls have options to block certain websites. But, You may want to do it without using any software. Because, It is free and it will save your money. Actually, There are a few ways you can follow to do it.
Block Websites without any Software:
In this article, You will learn about two different ways to block any websites which won’t require any third-party software. Here are these methods.
1. Modify Host File to Block Specific Websites
You can edit your computer’s host file and add certain websites there which you want to block. Here are the steps to do it:
Block Websites by Modifying Host File in Windows:
Modify Host File and Block Websites in Mac:
From now, You won’t be able to access the blocked website. To unblock it, Just delete the site address from hosts file.
2. Block Websites from Router:
Most modern routers come with built-in web filtering feature. May be, You are using a Wi-Fi router in your home. In that case, You can block certain websites without any software more easily. Normally, This type of features should be in security settings of your router. For better understanding, I suggest you to check your router’s manual. If you are a home wifi router user, You do following things:
These are the ways to block any websites without any software. But, I recommend you to do it from your antivirus program or any other premium tools. Because, It will be more convenient and you will be able to block specific categories’ websites.