How to Change Web Browser’s User Agent (Operating System ID)October 27, 2018
- After installing them, You should see a new icon in top right corner of browser.
- Click on that user agent extension icon and choose your preferences from browser versions, operating systems and device types etc.
- Now, Browse your desired website. You will see the different version of web pages according to the user agent you have selected
- First of all, Visit a webpage.
- Now, Go to Menu > More Tools > Developer Tools. Alternatively, You can right click on blank area of webpage and choose Inspect.
- Then, You should see a small mobile icon. Just click on it.
- Now, You can change devices according to your preferences.
- There are some other devices. You will find them by clicking on Edit from the device list of drop-down.
- In Firefox address-bar, Type about:config and hit enter. You may need to click on the I accept the risk! button.
- Now, You should see a lots of stuffs there. Just, Search for useragent.
- If you don’t see anything named general.useragent.overridepreference, You may need to create a new string.
- Just, Right click on blank space and choose New > String.
- Give it name as general.useragent.overridepreference.
- You will be asked to put string value. This value depends on user agents. Different user agents have different values. For example: The following value is for microsoft edge.
- A full list of user agents can be found here: udger.com/resources/ua-list
- You can set value according to your preference. Then start browsing normally.
- If you want to get back the default user agent, Just right click on general.useragent.overridepreference and choose reset.
- At first, Visit any website from Edge.
- Now, Press F12 from keyboard. You also can go to Menu > F12 Developers tools.
- Then, Click on Emulation.
- Now, You can choose options according to your preferences. You can easily change, browser type, device, operating system information from there.
Most of the users don’t know what is user agent of a browser. So, There are a very few users who actually want to change their web browser’s user agent. But, What actually the user agent is? There are many things to describe it. But, In short, An user agent is a software that provides information to a website about your browser, operating system, device etc. It helps a website to deliver compatible and relevant contents to its visitors.
When Do You Need to Change User Agent of Web Browsers:
Some websites deliver different contents for different operating systems, browsers and devices. For example, You are using mac. When you need to download a software for your windows PC, You may visit download center of that software provider. But, It may show you options for Mac. In that case, You may feel necessity to change web browser’s user agent or operating system id to windows. If you can do this, It will allow you to download that software installer for windows. This is just an example. But, You may need to change user agent in different situations. If you don’t know how to do it, This article will help you.
Ways to Change Web Browser’s User Agent / Operating System ID:
There are actually two ways to change user agent of a browser. With or without any third-party tools. Here are the full details.
How to Change User Agent of Web Browser with Third-Party Tools:
There are plenty of extensions or add-ons for all popular browsers to change its operating system, device and other information. You can search on store. But, Personally, I use User-Agent Switcher for chrome, User Agent Switcher for Firefox. You can simply install it in your browser (Chrome of Firefox) and then start using it. Here are details how to use them.
Change Browser’s User Agent (Operating System ID) without Third-Party Tools:
In fact, Extensions and add-ons are the easiest way to change user agent. If you want to do it without any help of third-party extensions, Here are the steps to follow.
Change User Agent in Chrome without Extensions:
Change User Agent in Firefox without any add-ons:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.4; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1985.143 Safari/537.36 Edge/12.0
How to Change User Agent in Microsoft Edge:
There is no extensions in Microsoft edge that can switch user agent. But, You can do it very easily without any third-party tools. Here are the instructions.
You can change any web browser’s user agent using third-party extensions or manually. All methods are similar. You will need to find the way. I hope, This article will help you.