Fix Device Descriptor Request Failed – Unknown USB DeviceAugust 2, 2018
- First of all, Open RUN by pressing on Win + R on the keyboard.
- Now, Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. It will open Windows Device Manager.
- Find and expand Universal Serial BUS controllers.
- Now, Find the unknown device with the yellow sign and right click on it, and choose Uninstall.
- After uninstalling, Click on Action and choose Scan for hardware changes.
- At first, Press on Win + I on the keyboard. It will open settings.
- Now, Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- Find and click on Hardware & Devices and then click on Run troubleshooter.
- Follow onscreen instructions and apply the fixes.
- At first, Open the start menu, type power plan and hit enter.
- Now, Click on Choose what power buttons do and then click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Uncheck Turn on fast startup and click on save changes.
- Now, Restart your computer.
- Go to power settings like method 3.
- Now, Check High Performance to activate it.
- Then, Click on change plan settings beside high performance. It will open a new window.
- From there, Expand USB Settings > USB Selective Suspend Setting and disable it.
- Click on Apply and OK.
- At first, Download Driver Booster and install it on your PC.
- Connect the USB device.
- Now, Open Driver Booster. It should automatically scan and show you the available updates.
- Just update the USB drivers and see if it fixes your problem or not. You also should update all related drivers. Sometimes, Updating other drivers also fix this problem.
When you connect a USB device to your PC, you may encounter a very common problem. Windows may not be able to detect the device. When you go to the device manager to see what happens, you may see something like “Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed).” In this article, you will get some tips to troubleshoot this problem.
This problem occurs when there is a problem with either the USB device or the USB port of your PC or laptop. There may be other reasons.
How to Fix Device Descriptor Request Failed – Unknown USB Device
To fix this problem, you can follow several methods. Before that, you should insert the device into another USB port to see if it solves the problem or not. You also can connect that device to another PC to know if the device is damaged or not. By the way, follow these methods to fix device descriptor request failed.
Method 1: Uninstall USB Driver
When this problem occurs, You can try it as the first solution. In most cases, It may fix unknown USB – device descriptor request failed issue. By the way, Here are the instructions.
It may detect the USB device and fix our problem.
Method 2: Run Hardware Troubleshooter
If Windows still can’t detect your USB device properly, to fix device descriptor request failed, you can run hardware troubleshooter. It may work if you are lucky. Here are instructions.
Hopefully, It will solve the problem.
Method 3: Disable Fast Startup
It is another solution to get rid of this USB device problem. To disable fast startup, follow those instructions.
It should fix device descriptor request failed.
Method 4: Disable USB Selective Suspend Setting in High Performance
At first, you will need to set the PC to high-performance mode. Then, disable USB selective suspend setting. It may solve the unknown USB device problem. To do it, follow these instructions.
Now, Restart your computer. It may resolve device descriptor request failed error.
Method 5: Remove Power Supply
It is one of the most recommended methods to fix this problem. If you experience this issue, shut down your PC or laptop. Then unplug the power adapter. If it is a laptop, you can remove the battery from it. Wait for a few minutes (2 or 3) and connect everything again. Then, Turn on the computer. Now, You should no longer encounter unknown USB device – descriptor request failed.
Method 6: Update Drivers
It is another method you can follow. To update drivers, there are several ways you may find in this article. But, For this case, I recommend you to use third-party software like Driver Booster. It can find and update drivers automatically. Anyway, To fix device descriptor request failed error by updating drivers, you can follow these instructions.
These are the most working methods to repair device descriptor request failed error. I hope any of these methods will work for you. Do know any other methods to get rid of this problem?