Sometimes, You may need to disable Superfetch and Prefetch. These are two common optimization technology in windows operating systems. In this article, We will learn about them and how to disable these features.
Of course, Microsoft adopted both superfetch and prefetch to improve system performance. It is available in windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, vista and even in XP. In some situations, You may consider turning them off. It is not really a hard task. However, Let’s know about them.
What is Superfetch and Prefetch:
In fact, these both are similar and have a very little difference. Superfetch is a technology that helps to speed up application launching by preloading the required data. It also reduces boot time. As a result, Users notice very good windows startup time when this feature is enabled. In the other hand, Prefetch is also same. Like superfetch it also helps to improve application launching. Especially, It stores information and necessary data of frequently used applications in prefetch folder. As a result, Users notice improve launching time of common applications. This feature also improves windows startup time.
When do You Need to Disable These Features?
Sometimes, These features may affect performance for specific applications. In many cases, These don’t work well with games. In some cases, These two features cause high disk usage issue in Windows PCs. If you have SSD driver, you may want to disable superfetch and prefetch. Because SSD comes with less writing capability when HDD has high write capability. There are many other reasons to not to use these features.
How to Disable Superfetch and Prefetch:
If you don’t want to use these features, you can easily turn them off. If you experience slow performance after stopping them, you can re-enable easily. However, Here are instructions for all windows users to disable these features.
You can stop superfetch service in two ways. Both are easy. But, The easiest one is command method. If you want to disable superfetch using the command prompt, follow these instructions.
- At first, Open Start Menu.
- Then, Type cmd. You will see command prompt. Just, Right click on it and choose Run as administrator.
- Now, Type the following commands and hit enter for each.
net stop sysmain
sc config sysmain start= disabled
- It will stop this service.
However, You also can disable superfetch in another way. Here it is:
- At first, Open Start Menu and type services.msc and hit enter.
- Now, Find the Superfetch from the service list and double click on it.
- Then, Click on Stop and set startup type as Disabled.
If you want to enable this service again, you can open the command prompt as administrator like above. Then, Execute the following commands.
sc config sysmain start= delayed-auto
net start sysmain
If you want to stop prefetch, you will have to do it from the registry. It is not a complex task. But, I recommend you to take backup of registry before trying to modify it. However, Here are the instructions to disable prefetch:
- First of all, Press Win + R on the keyboard and type regedit and then hit enter.
- Now, Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > SessionManager > Memory Management > PrefetchParameters.
- Then, Doubleclick on EnablePrefetcher and set its value as 0. The default value is 3.
If you ever want to re-enable it, just undo the changes you have made.
Disabling prefetch or superfetch can help you in some cases. But, You should not disable them without any urgent reason.