How to Fix An Error Occurred While Checking for UpdateAugust 26, 2018
- Press Windows Logo + R to open RUN.
- Type “msconfig” and press Enter.
- Click on Services tab.
- Find Google Update Services and check it if these were unchecked.
- Now click on apply and OK.
- Restart your PC.
- Now Open Google Chrome and try to update it. Hope, It will have no problem.
- Open RUN.
- Type regedit and press Enter.
- Now, Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google.
- Right click on Default and select modify.
- Now, Give the value as 1.
- But don’t forget to backup your registry.
- Save settings and close it.
- Now go to chrome about tab and try to update it.
- Uninstall Google chrome.
- Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome (64 bit PC) or C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome (32 bit PC).
- If you see any folder named Application, Just delete it.
- Now, Install chrome again.
- This time you can try to update it. Hope, It won’t make any trouble.
Latest google chrome is faster, lighter and more stable. Google also announced it. So, Many users have been updating their browser. Most of them are successful. But, Some of them are not. Because, An error is totally stopping them from updating google chrome. It has been happening both 64 bit and 32 bit versions. They are getting few error messages like “An error occurred while checking for updates” It can be appeared temporarily. But if it happens repeatedly, That will be a real trouble. It needs urgent fixes.
You may face different error messages. “An error occurred while checking for updates. The updater is currently running. Refresh in a minute to check again” or you can get that message with “Update check failed to start (error code 3: 0x80040154 — system level)” this line. Else, You can get another error code. That is 0x80080005. Someother users have reported that they are getting a different message. That is “Update failed: Updates are disabled by the administrator“. Even you may encounter more messages that you can know from here: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/111996?hl=en
Steps Fix An Error Occurred While Checking for Update (Error 0x80040154/0x80080005 – System Level) in Google Chrome:
I was lucky to have some good working solutions for this issue. Any of these fixes should work for you. Here are they –
1. Restart Chrome:
This actually a common solution. When you encounter that update error, Just restart your google chrome. Now, Go to Settings > About and check for update. Hope, This time you won’t be unsuccessful.
2. Restart Computer:
That problem may be appeared temporarily that can be fixed by a simple restart of your PC. After restarting PC, Try to update our favorite google chrome temporarily.
3. Check if Google Update Service is Enabled in Your PC
If Google Update service is disabled in your PC, You may encounter an error occurred while checking for update. In that case, You may need to enable it manually. To do it, Follow the instructions –
4. Fix An Error Occurred while Checking for Update from Windows Registry
It needs administrator rights in your PC. So, First of all, You must have the administrator access. Then follow the instructions below –
Hope, This time you won’t face any errors like error code 3: 0x80040154 — system level.
5. Re-Install Chrome:
If none of the above methods fix the problem. You can try to uninstall and install chrome again. But, You have an extra work here! Follow the instructions.
These are the most working solutions to fix any update related problems of Google chrome.