Sometimes, Windows 10 upgrade or installation can be almost impossible for some common errors. This article aims to provide solutions to fix error 0xC1900101 – 0x20017 while installing or updating windows.
This error code appears while installing any major updates like anniversary or creators update. Basically, Windows 10 upgrade process from the previous build to the latest one should be done without any problem. But, When users use media creation to update their PC, They may encounter error 0xC1900101 – 0x20017. Sometimes, You may see 0x30018 instead of 0x20017. It also can stop you from installing windows 10 in your PC. Especially, When you try to upgrade windows from older Windows 7 or windows 8.1, This error may prevent you to do it. When users encounter this error, they usually see these error messages.
We couldn’t install Windows 10.
We’ve set your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 10.
0xC1900101 – 0x20017
The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP operation
Couldn’t Update to Windows 10
Sorry, we couldn’t complete the update to Windows 10. We’ve restored your previous version of Windows to this PC.
0xC1900101 – 0x20017
Microsoft is also aware of this issue. Unfortunately, No specific permanent solution is available for it. But, There are some common strategies. Any of them may fix error 0xC1900101 – 0x20017 on your computer.
There are a few possible reasons that can cause this problem. The most common one is the driver incompatibility. Else, Third-party antivirus, firewall or other services can be responsible for this problem. Knowing what causes error makes the troubleshooting process easier. So, You should determine which thing is actually behind this problem.
How to Fix We Couldn’t Install Windows 10 – Error 0xC1900101 – 0x20017:
I got a few methods that can be helpful to troubleshoot this error. However, Before proceeding to the actual methods I like you to ensure those things.
- All drivers on your computer are up to date.
- Your PC is not virus infected.
- You have created a system restore point. (If you are upgrading from windows 7, 8 or 8.1)
You also should know: You won’t have to download windows 10 latest build every time, If you were using media creation tool to upgrade or upgrading from previous windows 7, 8 or 8.1. You should find the downloaded setup file in $Windows.~BT, $Windows.~WS, ESD\Windows\ or $Windows.~WS\Sources\Windows in C drive.
However, Here are the methods to fix we couldn’t install windows 10.
1. Disable/Uninstall Antivirus, Firewall or Other Utility Tool:
The most common reason behind error 0xC1900101 – 0x20017 is third-party software. Especially, The antivirus, firewall or any other security software can cause this error. So, You should temporarily uninstall these tools from your PC before trying the upgrade process again. Hopefully, It will resolve your problem.
2. Uninstall Wireless, Bluetooth and Other Problematic Drivers:
In most cases, Wireless and Bluetooth drivers are the reasons for this error. So, You should uninstall them before upgrading. However, If you use wireless driver to connect to internet, You won’t have to uninstall it. You will only take care of other drivers I have mentioned. To do it, follow these instructions:
- First of all, Press Win + R on the keyboard and type devmgmt.msc and then hit enter. It will launch Windows Device Manager.
- Now, Find and uninstall bluetooth driver or whatever you want. You will get uninstall option after right clicking on the driver name.
- You also should uninstall any driver which has yellow exclamation sign.
After doing these things, you can go with upgrade or installation process. I hope it will fix error 0xC1900101 – 0x20017.
3. Remove External Devices:
Disconnect all external devices from your PC except keyboard and Mouse. Then see if it helps
4. Fix Disk Problems:
Disk errors can cause the problem during installation. So, It is safe to run chkdsk commands to repair disk errors. Here are instructions:
- At first, Open Start menu and type cmd.
- Now, Right click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.
- Then, Type chkdsk /f /r C: and hit enter.
- You may need to press Y to give permission to repair disk errors during next startup.
- Reboot Windows. It will check and repair common disk errors.
- After that, Try to upgrade again. I hope it will fix we couldn’t install windows 10 error 0xC1900101.
5. Disable Wireless from BIOS and Use Ethernet:
This is one of the most working methods to resolve this windows installation error. All you will have to do is entering BIOS setup window during boot time. Then find the relevant options to disable wireless. You may visit your motherboard manufacturer website to know more about it.
However, After doing this, connect an ethernet cable to your computer to connect to the internet if needed. Then, Try to update or upgrade windows. It may help you to get rid of error 0xC1900101.
6. Reset Update Components:
Some windows 10 users may encounter this error while updating windows. In that case, resetting update components should fix couldn’t update to Windows 10 error 0xC1900101. To do it, follow these steps:
Step 1: Update Troubleshooter
To run this troubleshooter follow these things:
- At first, Go to Control Panel\System and Security\Security and Maintenance\Troubleshooter
- Now, Click on View All from the left sidebar.
- Then, Find and click on Windows Update.
- Follow onscreen instructions.
Step 2: Reset Software Distribution Folder
This folder contains many important update related files. If they become corrupted, users face many problems. So, You should reset software distribution folder.
Step 3: Reset Catroot2 Folder
It is another folder almost similar to software distribution. You can reset catroot2 folder very easily.
However, After doing these things, try to install the major windows update. I hope it will fix error code 0xC1900101 – 0x20017.
7. Repair Problematic Files:
If the “we couldn’t install windows error” still exists, You may take steps to repair corrupted system files. To do it, open the command prompt as administrator like before and run the following commands.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
I hope, after doing it, you won’t encounter the error anymore.
Still Encountering We Couldn’t Install Windows 10 – Error 0xC1900101 – 0x20017?
It may happen. If you still face the problem, you will have two options to do.
Option 1: Analyze Log File
You will get the log file in C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther or C:\$Windows.~BT\sources\Rollback. The log file name is similar to this: setuperr.log. It may help you to find out what actually causing the problem. Then, You should take steps to fix this error. If you don’t understand anything, just post your problem details with log file in Microsoft Community. I hope you will get help from there to repair error 0xC1900101.
Option 2: Perform Clean Windows 10 Installation
It is the last option you can try to get rid of we couldn’t install windows 10 issue. To do it:
- At first, Download the latest windows 10.
- If you have used direct link to download windows 10 without media creation tool, You may need to burn it to a DVD to create bootable Pendrive.
- Then, Install windows 10 from boot menu using the installation media.
I hope these tips will help you to fix error 0xC1900101. But, You are welcome to share your method that worked for you in comment box.