Fix Can’t connect to the Proxy Server in Edge, Chrome, FirefoxSeptember 9, 2018
- Disabling / Uninstalling VPN Client
- Disabling Proxy for LAN
- Uninstalling Recent / Suspocious Software
- Removing Adware and Maleware
- Removing Browser Extensions
- Reinstalling JAVA
- Resetting Browsers
- Uninstalling Recent Windows Update
- At first Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet.
- Now click on Internet Options. It is for Windows 8 or 10. In Windows 7, You may see it as Internet properties.
- Click on Connections tab.
- Now, Click on LAN Settings.
- Now, Uncheck Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections).
- Check Automatically detect settings.
- Now click on OK. Done.
- Now modern browsers have an option. It is Incognito mode. Just open your browser in Incognito Mode.
- Now, See if you can browse any website and not face the proxy server connection error.
- If you see everything is OK in incognito or private mode, Then you must be sure that one of your browser extensions or plugins is causing the problem. In that case, Find out the culprit and remove it.
- Just, Disable all extensions. Now, Check if you can browse without any problem. If you can do it, Just enable one of your extensions. Again check if you can browse any websites without can’t connect to the proxy server problem. By this way, Enable extensions one by one. You will find the culprit very easily.
- Then remove the problematic extension or addon.
- Just Go to Settings. Or type chrome://settings/ in address bar and press Enter.
- Scroll down and Click on Show Advanced Settings…
- Scroll down, Find and click on Reset Settings.
- Just type about:support in your address bar and press Enter.
- Now click on Refresh Firefox.
- Go to Control Panel > Programs.
- Click on View installed updates.
- Now, Uninstall the most recent update.
Proxy server connection problem is a very common and old problems for web browser users. It is seen in almost all popular browsers. Specially, If you are a windows 10 user, You will have more chance to face this error. So, When you want to fix this issue, At first, You may have to fix windows network connection problems rather than changing browser settings. Anyway, Let’s know about this problem in more details.
Reasons Behind Can’t / Unable to Connect the Proxy Server:
Proxy server has advantages. It lets users to browse or do anything online anonymously. When your PC’s proxy server settings become changed by any third-party or malicious programs, You may encounter this connection error in your browsers. Some malicious browser extensions also can create this trouble. Again, VPN software can be a good culprit behind this error.
After changes of your proxy settings, You will be starting to see some unnatural things during browsing websites. Example: Display ads look different, Web texts changed into anchor link etc. And at last, You will be starting to face the problem.
Different browsers can show this problem by different ways. For example, Microsoft Edge may show you
Can’t connect to the Proxy Server
Google Chrome may show you
Unable to connect to the proxy server
Mozilla Firefox may show you
The proxy server is refusing connection
Internet Explorer may show you
The proxy server isn’t responding
But, All of these fixes are same! You can just get rid of this problem by modifying or fixing network settings in your PC.
How to Fix Can’t Connect to the Proxy Server Error in Edge, Chrome and FireFox:
You can fix it by following several methods. But the most working methods are –
Well. These are the hints. But here are the details.
If you have a VPN client installed on your PC, This method is for you. Just disconnect from VPN server by clicking disconnect. Then, Close and exit it. But, I would like to suggest you to uninstall it temporarily. After that, Restart your PC. Now, Try to browse any websites by any of the problematic browsers. Hope, It will fix the problem. But sometimes, VPN client software may change your proxy settings and may not change it into default settings during uninstallation. It may happen. So, Let’s follow next method.
By default, Proxy should be disabled in windows. But, Third-party programs or malicious softwares can change it. So, You may need to disable it in your PC to get rid of unable to connect to the proxy server problem in browsers. To do it-
Sometimes, You may be unable to uncheck the Use the proxy server for your LAN. Or it may just become checked again and again. In that case, My suggestion is to boot into safe mode with networking. I’ve wrote an article how to boot into safe mode. You will just select, Safe Mode with networking instead of only safe mode.
This is actually, One of the most working method to fix this kinds of problem. I’m 90% sure that it will resolve the issue. If doesn’t help, Follow next steps.
Recently installed software may affect your network settings in your PC. Even, They can be malicious but your antivirus could not detect it. So, If you find any suspicious softwares in your PC, You can remove it. Many free softwares are spreading malicious programs in PC. So, You should be careful of these things.
Some malicious extensions or malware may create this problem. So, You also should try this method. I’ve already wrote how to do it. Just Read: How to Remove Adware.
You can use a good antivirus to remove malware. But Hitman Pro is a great software to do this job. If these were the culprit, It should remove the error can’t connect to the proxy server.
Some browser extensions may affect your proxy settings for a specific browser. But how you can understand that which one is causing the problem? No worries. Just follow these things –
If you have installed JAVA previously, You can uninstall it from Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features. Then install it again. After doing it, Open Edge or Chrome or Firefox to see if proxy server is refusing or unable to connect problem has been resolved or not.
If the problem arise in any specific browser, You can reset it to resolve the problem. For google chrome –
For Mozilla Firefox –
If you have just updated your windows and start facing can’t connect to the proxy server problem right after it, You may need to uninstall the recent update. To do it –
But, I don’t prefer this method. I always prefer Windows Restore. You can restore your PC to any previous restore point when it was performing without the proxy problem.
If you follow these things, You may be able to get rid of “can’t connect to the proxy server” error in web browsers. But, You always should be careful.