Fix You Can’t Remove the VPN Connection on Windows 10October 15, 2018
- Press Windows Flag Key + R from keyboard.
- Type regedit and press Enter.
- Now navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion >Internet Settings > Connections.
- Now you will see there are some registries with your VPN connection names. Delete these registries.
- If you had installed any VPN client software in your PC, You should navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > RemoteAccess > Profile and delete registries.
- Now, See your all these connections have been deleted. If not, Follow next step.
- Restart your Windows 10 or Windows 8.
- Now check, You won’t see them again.
- If you still see them, Navigate to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections.
- Now find and delete desired VPN connections.
- Flush Your DNS completely.
- Now Reset your internet connections.
- All you have to do it from your command prompt. To know, How you will do it, Read the following article : Flush and Reset DNS Completely
- Now, Restart your computer. Then delete the connections as i mentioned in step 2.
VPN is popular word nowadays. It is short form of Virtual Private Network. There are thousands of users who are using it regularly. But there are some users who use it occasionally. Most of the PC users are using windows. They may encounter some trouble with VPN connections. One is You can’t remove the VPN connection error. It is frequently seen in latest windows 10. Windows 8 users also may encounter this problem. When you try to delete one of these connections, You may face this error with the following message –
You can’t remove the VPN connection while it is connected or busy connecting. Please disconnect or cancel the connection and try again.
Why you are facing this error:
It may have several reasons. One is corrupted or problematic connection registry issue. Or there is something wrong with your network connection settings.
How to Fix You Can’t Remove the VPN Connection Error:
Normally, A simple restart can fix this unexpected problem. But it is not your permanent solution. Even, It doesn’t work always. To solve this issue permanently, You have to follow some steps. Now, One by one, I’ll share how to deal with can’t delete VPN issue. The steps are –
Step 1: Remove VPN Connection Registries
If you have a thirdparty VPN software, Remove it at first. If you have not any software for that, You don’t need to do anything. Just follow the steps –
Step 2: Restart Windows & Delete
After deleting these registries, You may still see these connections. You may not delete them. In that case, Follow the instructions below –
Step 3: Flush & Reset DNS and Connections Completely
In 99% times, First two steps should work and solve your problem to deleting VPN connections. I did not find any users who had failed to fix this problem by these two steps. But, If it really happens to you, You can follow this step.
If this article helps you to delete unremovable VPN connections from windows 10 or 8, Please let me know by comment. It will inspire me.
source: Microsoft Technet