How to Fix Can’t Toggle Hidden Items Option in Windows 10/8/8.1/7September 6, 2018
- First of all, You will need to launch Windows Task Manager. To do it, simply press CTRL + Shift + Esc on the keyboard.
- If task manager is already set to detailed view, it’s fine. If not, click on More details from the left bottom corner.
- Now, Find Windows Explorer from the running processes. You can use press W on the keyboard to find it quickly.
- Right click on Windows Explorer and then click on Restart.
- At first, Open RUN and type regedit and then press enter. If you don’t know how to open run, just press Win + R on keyboard to open it.
- Now, Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer > Advanced > Folder.
- You should see two keys under folder. One is named SHOWALL and another one is NOHIDDEN.
- Now, Go to NOHIDDEN. You should see several DWORDS including CheckedValue and CheckedValue.
- Doubleclick on them and set their value to 2.
- By this way, Go to SHOWALL and set CheckedValue’s value to 1.
- Restart your computer.
Sometimes, Users can’t toggle hidden files/show hidden files option in windows. It happens in windows 10 or any other old versions. This article contains some solutions that can help you to get rid of this hidden items option not working problem.
By default, Windows has some folders which are hidden. You also can hide any private folders manually. But, Sometimes, It doesn’t go through right way. Even, You may not be able to tweak relevant option. It has some reasons.
Basically, It occurs when any third-party services interrupt windows system. Sometimes, Corrupted system files are responsible for it. However, You can repair this bug very easily.
How to Show Hidden Files, Folder and Drives in Windows:
To view any secret files and folders, you must enable show hidden files feature. You can open the start menu and type folder. Then, select Show hidden files and folders. Now, Mark Show hidden files, folders and drives. It will allow you to view all private files and folders.
However, You also can do it in a different way. You can go to this PC and click on View on the top navigation bar. Then, You will get the Hidden Items option. If you mark it, You will be able to view all hidden files and folders of your computer. But, Sometimes, You may not be able to check hidden items option. As a result, You can’t view any items that you have hidden. Luckily, There are ways to resolve this issue.
How to Fix Can’t Toggle Hidden Items in Windows
If you unable to check hidden items option under view tab, you can follow these methods to resolve this issue.
1. Restart Windows Explorer
It is considered as a very common fix for any windows UI related issue. Sometimes, It fixes many problems surprisingly. So, You can restart windows explorer to solve unable to check hidden items option. Here are instructions:
However, After restarting it, you can try to toggle hidden item option and see if it works.
2. Restart Computer
If your PC has any pending process that requires a restart to finish, you may face some weird issues. For some users, specific pending processes in BitDefender antivirus cause hidden items option uncheckable problem. In similar cases, A simple restart can save you. So, You should try to restart your computer. It doesn’t mean turning off and on PC manually. You will need to restart PC by choosing the appropriate option.
3. Disable Third-Party Security Software
In some cases, third-party security software can cause this type of problems. So, I suggest you disable your antivirus temporarily to see if it fixes can’t toggle hidden items option in windows.
4. Try Clean Boot
It is another cool way to troubleshoot many common issues with windows. It helps to find out if any of the third-party apps or services cause show hidden files, folders and drives not working. To perform clean boot, follow the steps from this link: How to Perform Clean Boot. If you no longer encounter hidden items uncheckable problem, it proves that any third-party service is causing this problem. Just find it out and uninstall.
5. Fix by Tweaking Registry
If above steps just fail to fix unable to show hidden files problem, you will need to manually enable showing hidden files from registry editor. But, You should take backup of registry before making any changes in it. However, Here are the instructions to modify registry to fix can’t toggle hidden items option.
If you can successfully do these changes, It should resolve show hidden files not working problem in windows. However, If these things don’t work, I recommend you to restore registry from the backup you have created.