When you use windows update troubleshooter, it helps to get rid of update problem. But, Sometimes, It doesn’t work correctly and may show you one of the services is not running or failed to start. Fixing this type of issue is very easy. Now, You will know how to fix diagnostics policy service not running problem in windows.
Most of us are using windows as computer operating system. Because it’s simple and user-friendly. But, We don’t know how many services need to be active when we use windows. It has tons of services running in the background. If any of them become corrupt or damaged, it may create many problems. One of the service names is diagnostics policy service. Sometimes, It may become stopped or fail to start for any reason. As a result, You may face various issues including update problem, internet connectivity problem etc. Recently, So many windows 10 users have complained about this problem.
There are many things that can prevent this service from being active. Security programs, virus issue or any other third-party programs can be the reason. But, Resolving this issue is very easy.
How to Fix Diagnostics Policy Service is not Running
Fixing this problem is really easy. There area few ways to do it. Here are the most working methods.
1. Start Service by Yourself
When you run windows update troubleshooter, it may show that it has detected “the diagnostics policy service is not running”. In that case, you should try to start this service by yourself. It is very easy to do. Just follow these instructions:
- At first, Open Start Menu and type services.msc and hit enter. It will open a new window where you will see a list of services.
- Now, Find Diagnostics Policy Service and double-click on it.
- Then, Click on Start and also set the startup type to Automatic.
- After that, Click on Apply and OK.
- It should fix our problem.
But, Sometimes, It may show you access denied type message and an error code like error 5. It may say you “Windows could not start the diagnostics policy service on local computer”. Even if you try to run command “net start DPS” with administrator right, it says “the service couldn’t be started”. In that case, You will need to follow the next methods.
2. Add Relevant Privileges to Administrator Account
In case the first method fails, you should try this method. It will fix diagnostics policy service is not running or couldn’t be started problem. Here are the full instructions.
- First of all, Open Command Prompt as administrator.
- Then, Run the following commands.
net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
- After that run these commands.
sc config dps start= auto
net start dps
- It will start diagnostics policy service and fix your problem.
3. Grant Permission in Registry
Still encountering the problem? You probably need to tweak something from windows registry editor. But, Don’t forget to backup your registry. A simple tip: If you want to optimize windows registry, you probably can use iObit Advanced SystemCare. However, To “fix the diagnostics policy is not running problem” from the registry, follow these instructions.
- At first, Open start menu, type regedit and press enter to open windows registry editor.
- Then, Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > DPS > Parameters.
- Right click on parameters and choose permissions.
- Now, Make sure trusted installer has Full Control, Read permission.
- After that, Click on Add and type NT SERVICE\mpssvc in “Enter the object names to select” field. Then, Click on Check Names.
- It will show a name MpsSvc. Then, Just click on OK.
- Now, Grant Full Control and Read permission to this MpsSvc and apply the settings.
- Restart your computer.
This should resolve our problem.
4. Repair Corrupted System Files
If windows still show you that the diagnostics policy service is not running, you should attempt to repair faulty, corrupted and missing system files. To do it, you will have to run SFC and DISM commands. If you don’t know how to do it, follow instructions from here.
I hope these tips will help you to solve diagnostics policy service not running problem. If you know any better solution, just let us know in the comment box.