How to Fix Display Driver Failed to Start Problem in Windows 10September 19, 2018
- First of all, Press Win + R on the keyboard. It will launch the RUN. Then, Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. It will open windows device manager.
- Now, You expand display adapters and right click on your graphics card and choose Update Driver.
- Then choose search automatically for updated driver software. But, Make sure you are connected to the internet.
- Follow on-screen instructions.
- At first, Go to graphics card driver properties from device manager.
- Now, Click on driver tab and then click on Rollback.
- Go to device manager like before.
- Now, Right click on video driver and choose uninstall. (It may require restart).
- After uninstalling, Go to your graphics card manufacturer’s website and download the latest driver.
- Then, Install it and see if it fixes display driver failed to start.
- Right click on Start. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
- Run the following command.
In Windows 10, Users may encounter various driver compatibility problems. This post contains some valuable information that will help to fix display driver failed to start error on your PC.
Every update of windows comes with many improvements and bug fixes. Some of them bring new features. But, It always may not go through right way for you. It may bring new problem in your PC. “Display driver failed to start” is a problem you may face right after a new windows update. It also may trouble you anytime. To fix display driver failed you can follow some very common steps. I will discuss them in this article.
This problem normally comes during windows startup with a simple notification which shows the following message.
Display driver failed to start; using Microsoft Basic Display Driver instead. Check Windows Update for a newer display driver
In fact, When your graphics card both built-in and dedicated like NVIDIA, AMD can’t start properly, Windows will show you that above message. Windows 10 users face it more than other versions. Especially, April Update 2018, Falls Creator Update, After anniversary update, Many peoples started to face it. Anyway, You may face this problem temporarily. In that case, A simple restart can solve everything. But, If you are encountering it continuously, You must take steps to get rid of it.
Fix Display Driver Failed to Start on Windows 10
In fact, This problem may appear even if you have a decent GPU like GTX 1080 ti, or good graphics cards like GTX 1050 ti, 1060 etc. But, Don’t worry. It has some cool solutions. If you want to resolve this issue, You can follow these methods.
1. Update or Rollback Graphics Card Driver
In case, You are facing display driver failed to start after updating Windows 10, It is possible that your driver software is not fully compatible with latest windows build. That time, You can check for your graphics card driver update. If you find any, Instant install it. To do it –
Sometimes, You may start facing this problem after updating graphics card driver. In that case, You can roll back. To do it,
It should fix display driver failed to start.
2. Re-Install Video Driver
Okay, As the second solution, You can try this one. Reinstalling can work sometimes. To do it, Follow these things.
Note: Some manufacturers may provide graphics card clean uninstaller. You can use them.
Some Popular Graphics Card Driver Download Link:
For NVIDIA, Visit: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
To Download AMD Driver, Visit: https://support.amd.com/en-us/download
For Intel HD, Visit: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/80939/graphics-drivers.html
3. Run SFC Command
It is possible that your driver is OK. But, Windows system files are corrupted. So, You can run system file checker command which will automatically detect and fixes any issues with system files.
I hope It will fix driver failed to start problem.
4. Update All Drivers
Sometimes, Other drivers’ incompatibility may be responsible for this problem. So, It will be better, If you update all of you drivers to latest version. Fortunately, It may also “fix display driver failed to start”.
Have you already fixed your problem? Which method has worked for you?