Every updates of windows comes with many improvements and bug fixes. Some of them bring new features. But, It always may not go through right way for you. It may bring new problem in your PC. “Display driver failed to start” is a problem you may face right after a new windows update. It also may trouble you anytime. To fix display driver failed you can follow some very common steps. I will discuss them in this article.
This problem normally comes during windows startup with a simple notification which shows the following message.
Display driver failed to start. Display driver failed to start; using Microsoft Basic Display Driver instead. Check Windows Update for a newer display driver
In fact, When your graphics card both built-in and dedicated like NVIDIA, AMD can’t start properly, Windows will show you that above message. Windows 10 users face it more than other versions. Specially, After anniversary update, Many peoples started face it. Anyway, You may face this problem temporarily. In that case, A simple restart can solve everything. But, If you are encountering it continuously, You must take steps to get rid of it.
How to Fix Display Driver Failed to Start:
When you want to resolve this issue, You can follow these methods.
Update or Rollback Graphics Card Driver:
In case, You are facing display driver failed to start after updating windows, It is possible that your driver software is not fully compatible with latest windows update. That time, You can check for your graphics card driver update. If you find any, Instant install it. To do it –
- Simply, Press Win + R, Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. It will open windows device manager.
- Now, You expand display adapters and right click on your graphics card and choose Update driver software.
- Then choose search automatically for updated driver software.
- Follow on screen instructions.
Sometimes, You may start facing this problem after updating graphics card driver. In that case, You can roll back. To do it,
- Go to graphics card driver properties from device manager.
- Click on driver tab and then click on Rollback.
- It may fix display driver failed to start.
Re-Install Video Driver:
Okay, As the second solution, You can try this one. Reinstalling can work sometimes. To do it, Follow these things.
- Go to device manager.
- Right click on video driver and choose uninstall. (It may require restart).
- After uninstalling, Go to your graphics card manufacturer’s website and download the latest driver.
- Then install it and see if it fixes display driver failed to start.
Note: Some manufactures may provide graphics card clean uninstaller. You can use them.
Run SFC Command:
It is possible that your driver is OK. But, Windows system files are corrupted. So, You can run system file checker command which will automatically detect and fixes any issues with system files.
- Right click on Start. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
- Run the following command.
I hope, It will fix driver failed to start problem.
Update All Drivers:
Sometimes, Other drivers’ incompatibility may be responsible for this problem. So, It will be better, If you update all of you drivers to latest version. Fortunately, It may also “fix driver failed to start”.