Often Google Chrome users face some common DNS failure related errors. It is a good thing that most of these problems are fixable by adopting some troubleshooting strategies. In this article, You will get some accurate solutions to resolve DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN.
May be many of you know about this problem. You may have faced it in Google Chrome browser. Try to remember, You saw a problem “DNS Lookup Failed”. Right? Yes. I think this picture is enough to make it clear. See you may have experienced this error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN. Windows 10, 8, 8.1 and 7 which version of windows you have, It does not matter. Even, Apple’s Mac like Sierra users may face this problem. You may encounter it at any time in any Windows Desktop or Laptop.
Sometimes, This error goes away when you reload the problematic web page. But, If you see this error repeatedly or frequently, You should find a perfect solution to get rid of this problem.
Before knowing how to troubleshoot DNS Probe Finished NXDomain, it’s better to know what it is and what it means. DNS mean Domain Name System. It acts as a database that contains the IP Addresses of all public servers. DNS Look Up Failed or any similar errors mean Google Chrome is unable to access DNS. So Chrome can’t fetch IP Address. As a result, Chrome can’t access web page successfully and it shows this error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN.
The source of this error can be from the user end, ISP or the web server. If your PC’s health is OK and every driver, firewall, antivirus or any other components that have access network work perfectly, You should not encounter this error.
How To Fix Error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN Problem:
As this error can be caused by different reasons from the different ends, you will have to try different troubleshooting methods to solve the problem. However, Do these things before proceeding actual methods.
- You can check if other browsers are working fine or not. If the problem only persists with chrome, you should reset chrome.
- You also may have to re-install chrome.
- If the problem still exists, you can use Chrome canary instead of the stable version.
However, Here are some troubleshooting methods you can try.
1. Change DNS Setting
You can easily fix dns_probe_finished_nxdomain error by changing your DNS settings. To do it, Follow instructions give below.
- At first, Navigate to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center
- Then, Click on Change Adapter Setting.
- You will see all of your connections. Select the connection which you are currently using and go to properties.
- Then, Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then select properties.
- Now, Check Use the following DNS addresses and set the DNS as Preferred DNS Server: 184.108.40.206 and Alternative DNS Server: 220.127.116.11.
- Then, Click on OK.
- Now, Reconnect your internet and See the problem is solved.
2. Flush DNS
In fact, First method’s success rate is 99.99%. But you should also try this method. To do this just follow the steps Below.
- At first, Open start menu and type CMD.
- Now, Click on Command Prompt to open it.
- Then, Type ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter.
Now, You should not face the problem again.
3. Reset Internet Connection Settings
May be, This is one of the best solution to solve all of internet connection issues in windows PC. I’ve already shared this trick on this site. You can read that from here. Hopefully, it will fix your dns_probe_finished_nxdomain error in google chrome.
4. Try Network Reset:
If you are using windows 10 latest build, you have a cool feature called network reset. It is extremely helpful to troubleshoot the most common network related problems. So, You can expect a good resolution for DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN. However, To use this feature, do following things.
- At first, Press Win + I on the keyboard.
- Then, Go to Network & Internet.
- Now, Find the feature “Network Reset” and click on it.
- Follow on screen instruction and restart windows.
I hope doing these things will help you to solve your problem.
5. Reset Chrome Experimental Features
This is another feature that helped some users. You can try it. Resetting these chrome features will help you to get rid of other chrome related problems too. So, Here are the instructions how to do it –
- First of all, Type chrome://flags/ in your browser addressbar and hit enter.
- Now, Click on Reser all to default.
- Restart chrome and see if you still face the error DNS Probe Finished NXDomain error or not.
6. Disable Firewall, Antivirus and Web Filtering Software
Third-party firewall, antivirus programs or any other security programs may cause problem to your internet connection. Some programs directly affect your DNS settings. So, I recommend you to disable or uninstall these software completely to fix dns probe finished nxdomain error. However, Other third-party software also can cause this problem. So, I also suggest you perform clean boot. It helps to understand if any third-party service causes this error.
7. Disable VPN & Proxy
Sometimes, VPN software can cause many network related errors in your PC. In that case, I would like to suggest you to disable or uninstall these programs temporarily and restart your PC. If it fixes dns probe finished nxdomain, Contact your VPN provider support team and explain them it is causing what problems. I hope, They will be able to give you troubleshooting instructions.
However, If you want to disable proxy, follow these steps:
- First of all, Open RUN. You can press Win + R to open it.
- Now, Type inetcpl.cpl and press enter.
- Then, Go to Connection tab.
- Click on LAN Settings.
- Now, Check Automatically detect settings and leave other options unchecked.
- Click on OK.
Now, Try to browse using Google Chrome and see if it fixes DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN.
8. Reset Router or Connect Ethernet Cable Directly to Your PC
If you have a Wi-Fi router and you face this error when you connect to Wi-Fi, Turn the router off. Then, Turn it on again. If it doesn’t help, You can connect the network cable directly to your computer. Then configure it properly and see if it fixes the problem. If you see everything is OK, You can be sure your wi-fi router misconfiguration is the culprit. Just reset it and re-configure it. I hope, This will help you.
9. Contact Local ISP
In case, No troubleshooting methods resolve the problem, you can browse the problematic website by using a different network or using VPN. If you see that page is working fine when you different network, you should contact with your local ISP and let them know the details. I hope it will fix DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN.
10. Restore PC / Reset
Sometimes, This problem become so much disturbing and every possible ways fail to to resolve it. In that case, You can restore windows to any earlier restore point when you did not face it. If it still fails, Then completely reset your pc. It should fix dns probe finished nxdomain.
I always expect this article will help you. If it doesn’t work, Please let me know by comment.