You may know about many blue screen of death stop errors. But, This article contains the solutions to fix DPC watchdog violation on Windows. Probably, This is the most irritating BSOD that you have ever encountered.
This error is a nightmare for Windows users. Which version are you using? Windows 8.1, Windows 8.1 or the latest Windows 10? It’s not a fact. It has become a common problem nowadays. There are many users who faced this problem. Recently, So Many Windows 10 users have reported about DPC watchdog violation. Don’t worry. There are multiple ways to repair DPC Watchdog Violation error.
This article contains so many information with details. So, It’s a bit longer. That’s why I have included an index so that you can navigate to any solution easily.
Index: Fixes for DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION
- Why DPC Watchdog Violation
- Troubleshoot by Changing SATA AHCI Controller
- Solve by Updating Driver
- Fix by Turning off Fast Startup
- Solve by Checking Corrupted Hard Drive
- Repair in Safe Mode
- Fix in Clean Boot
- Scan & Fix System Files to Fix BSOD
- Fix by System Restore
- Fix by Resetting Windows
- Advanced Method to Fix BSOD
- If You Failed to Fix
- Avoid DPC Watchdog Violation.
It can occur for some common reasons. The incompatible, outdated, problematic drivers are the most common things that cause DPC Watchdog Violation. Another common reason is your SSD or HDD driver is old. It may be using an unsupported and old firmware. Corrupted system files also can cause this blue screen error.
How to Fix DPC Watchdog Violation in Windows 10
In fact, How you will fix this problem depends on how you are encountering this BSOD. So, You need to figure it out what actually causing this problem. That’s why you should use Windows Event Viewer or analyze minidump file to know the possible reason behind this stop code. For example, If your network adapter driver is outdated, you may encounter this problem when you connect to the internet. If the video card is not compatible it may happen when you try to play video games or play HD video.
There are several methods to fix DPC Watchdog Violation. These worked for many users. But these are not the granted solutions.
If you are Windows 10 user and experiencing this blue screen of death, this method is the best one for you. Because Most users have fixed their problem by changing SATA AHCI Controller. Here are the relevant instructions.
- At first, Open the start menu, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. It will open Windows Device Manager.
- Now, Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers and double click on the driver. For you, The driver name can be something like this “Inter(r) 300 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller” or anything similar.
- Then, Go to the Driver tab and click on driver details. You should see iaStorA.sys. If you see anything else like iaStori.sys or iaStorF.sys, go back and click on Update Driver.
- Now, Click on “Browse my computer for my driver” and then click on “Let me pick of available drivers on my computer.”
- Then, Select “Standard SATA AHCI Controller” and click on Next.
- Restart your computer.
It should remove DPC watchdog violation error.
This is one of the best methods to get rid of the blue screen of death in Windows 10. As it is a new version of windows, Your old drivers may not be compatible with it. So, It is always better to update drivers to latest version.
Especially, Updating IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers can fix DPC Watchdog Violation. Because Many users have been encountering this blue screen of death because of having older IDE ATA/ATAPI controller driver. Also, update all of the drivers. However, You can do following things to update the drivers.
- First of all, Open RUN by press win + R from the keyboard.
- Now, Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
- Then, Find and Right-click on the driver you want and choose Update Driver.
- Then, Choose your preferred method to update it
You also should update all of the drivers, especially which have yellow explanation sign. Doing it one by one may be a pain. In this case, You can use Driver Booster. It can update/install all the drivers automatically or with a single click.
It is another most working solution. Fast startup is an excellent feature. But, Sometimes, It can cause unexpected issues. To fix DPC watchdog violation, you may consider disabling fast startup. If it doesn’t help, you may re-enable it. By the way, here are the instructions.
- First of all, Open RUN, type powercfg.cpl and hit enter. It will open the power options.
- Then, click on Choose What the Power Buttons Do.
- Now click on Change Settings that are Currently Unavailable.
- Now uncheck Turn on Fast Startup.
- Click on Save Changes.
After doing it, Restart your computer. Hopefully, You won’t encounter any problem again.
Your hard drive can be one of the reasons that cause blue screen errors. So, You may try to repair basic hard disk problems to fix DPC watchdog violation blue screen error.
CHKDSK command can repair common disk problems. Here are the steps to follow.
1. At first, Open Command Prompt as Administrator. You can open the start menu, type cmd, right click on Command Prompt and choose run as administrator.
2. Now, Type CHKDSK C: /F /R and press enter.
3. Then, Type Y and press enter.
4. Restart your Computer.
Safe mode is extremely helpful to troubleshoot DPC watchdog violation. Sometimes, You may not be able to access Windows. Because blue screen appears before your PC starts completely. In this case, safe mode is vital. You can follow these tricks to boot into safe mode. By the way, If you can access Windows, You can boot into safe mode by following these instructions.
- At first, Open RUN by press on Win + R on the keyboard.
- Now, Type msconfig and hit enter. It will open System Configuration window.
- Then, Go to Boot tab and check Safe Mode and mark Networking.
- Click on OK and restart your PC.
Now, Your PC will open in safe mode with networking. You won’t encounter BSOD. At this moment, You will need to update all of your drivers like method 2. Also, Uninstall any recently installed software. After that, Undo the changes that you made in system configuration Window to boot into normal mode. Hopefully, It will resolve DPC watchdog violation.
Sometimes, Third-party programs may create conflicts. As a result, Your PC may show you blue screen and restarts automatically. To identify which one is creating the problem, you can perform the clean boot. After identifying the culprit program, disable it or uninstall. It will fix your problem.
Scanning and fixing corrupted system files sometimes work great to fix blue screen stop errors like DPC watchdog violation. To do it –
- At first, Disconnect internet if possible. Also, Disable any security software installed on your PC. Example: Antivirus, Internet Security, Third-party Firewall etc.
- Now, Open Command Prompt in Administrator mode.
- Then, Type SFC /SCANNOW and press Enter.
- Wait for a few minutes to complete the process.
- Now, Restart your PC.
Hopefully, It will work for you. If not, You also may read how to repair corrupted system files.
This is a very simple method. In some cases, it works great to solve DPC watchdog violation.
1. Turn on your PC in the Safe mode like method 4.
2. Restore your PC to a previous restore point.
If you don’t know how to do a system restore, Read: Do System Restore in Windows.
Method 9: Reset or Re-Install Windows
This is also a good working method. If your PC was running well and suddenly you are facing that BSOD, this method may be your good solution. Many windows 10 users found this method helpful. You can repair or reset your windows to solve dpc watchdog violation.
1. First of all, Turn on Your PC in safe mode.
2. Now go to PC Setting > Update and Recovery > Recovery.
3. Now choose your suitable option and reset your PC. You may require a windows bootable disk or pen drive.
You also can repair your PC, by your bootable DVD or pen drive in another way. To do it you just need to restart your PC and repair your PC from windows setup menu.
I hope all of these methods will help you to fix DPC watchdog violation.
You can also follow this two steps.
- Troubleshoot your PC and try to find any solution and follow the steps.
- Check if there any messages about windows issue from Action Center and find the solutions.
Hopefully, these steps will be helpful to fix this blue screen problem.
- At first, Try to understand which software or driver the BSOD occurred.
- Then, Remove that software or driver. But before doing it try to update that software or driver to solve DPC watchdog violation.
- Sometimes some antiviruses like AVG is responsible for this problem. I’ve faced this BSOD for avg internet security. Anyway, remove that antivirus in any way.
- If there is no way to remove these software or drivers, reset or reinstall your windows.
- After re-installing windows, don’t use these software, antivirus or drives.
DPC Watchdog Violation may occur for many reasons. I’m suggesting some tips to avoid this nightmare.
- Always update your windows.
- Keep your drivers up to date.
- Turn off your computer properly.
- Don’t force your PC to shut down.
- If you find any error on any drivers of your PC, solve that instantly by updating or reinstalling that driver.
- Always use the latest version of Intel management engine interface and keep it up to date.
- Use disk defragment and disk cleanup regularly.
- Use these software or drivers which are compatible with your version of windows. Don’t upgrade your windows instantly, if you are using an older version of PC.
These are some possible tips to avoid DPC watchdog violation. But if you are already facing this problem, you should follow these steps which I have already discussed above to repair this error.
*Tips To remove any software which is responsible for DPC Watchdog Violation-
– Just unplug the modem or network cable
– Then Turn On your PC
– Then uninstall that software.
All of the above are the possible best solution for dpc_watchdog_violation. If you know any better solution, you can let us know in the comment box.