Every Chrome update fixes known bugs. But, It also can bring new or old issues, If everything doesn’t go through right way. Else, You may have several extensions installed in your browser. It also can create problems. ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID is one of the most common chrome browser problems. In this article, I’ll discuss about some steps that will help you to fix err cert common name invalid error. But, We will also know some information so that we can avoid this problem in the future.
Basically, ERR_Cert_Common_Name_Invalid issue is one of the SSL (https) errors. It appears in all platforms like Android, Windows, Mac, Ubuntu etc. It can be a result of server misconfiguration of the website you are trying to visit. Else, Any bugs in chrome, third-party extensions or your security programs like firewall and antivirus may cause it. Normally, This problem appears with a message highlighted “Your connection is not private”. The full error code is this:
It’s time to go through the troubleshooting steps. Here is the guide for both users and webmasters to get rid of this problem.
How to Fix ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID:
To resolve this problem, We will follow a few methods. But, Before starting troubleshooting steps, Make sure your PC / Mobile’s date, time, region settings are correct. To fix time settings:
- Go to Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region. (Windows). If you are Mac user, Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Date & Time.
- Now, Correct date, time, time zone and region.
If you are a site owner, Click here to jump to the methods you will need to correct SSL configuration. Anyway, Here are the methods that users can follow to fix err cert common name invalid problem.
1. Find Out Problematic Extensions & Plugins
First of all, We can go to incognito mode to check if we face err cert common name invalid here. If everything is fine in incognito mode, You can be sure that there is one or more extensions which is/are creating this problem. So, Your first duty is finding out that crap.
- To find out the culprit, You can disable all extensions in your google chrome browser.
- Then, Activate one and browse any site or the site which showing error.
- Continue activating extensions one by one and browsing until you find the problematic extension.
- Then, Delete which one was creating the issue.
- By, This way, You may be able to “fix err_cert_common_name_invalit error in chrome”.
2. Clear Cache & Data
Sometimes, Corrupted cache or cookie can cause similar problems in chrome. So, You can clear them and see if it helps.
- First of all, Press CTRL + H.
- Now, Click on Clear Browsing Data.
- Then, Mark relevant options for cache, cookies, content license, hosted app data.
- At last, Click on Clear browsing data.
- Browse and see if it helps.
To fix ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID in android phone, You also may need to clear browsing data. To do it, Follow these things.
- If you are using chrome in smartphone, Just Open Chrome and go to History > Clear Browsing Data.
- Now, Tick the relevant options and click on clear data.
You also can, Go to your smartphone Settings > Apps > Chrome. Then, Tap on Clear Cache & Clear Data.
3. Check Proxy Settings:
Your proxy settings have direct impact on browsing. Any misconfiguration can restrict you to browse any websites. As a result, Your browsers like chrome may show you different messages. So, To fix err_cert_common_name_invalid, You should verify that your computer’s proxy settings are OK.
- Open Start Menu, Type inetcpl.cpl and hit Enter. It will open Internet Properties.
- Go to Connections tab.
- Now, Make sure only Automatically detect settings is checked. Other options should be remain unchecked.
- Click on OK.
- Now, See if correcting your proxy settings resolves err cert common name invalid error.
4. Clear SSL Cache:
Sometimes, Clearing SSL cache can resolve err_cert_common_name_invalid error. To do it,
- Open Internet Properties. I have mentioned in method 3 how to open it.
- Now, Go to Content tab.
- Then, Click on Clear SSL State.
You also can do it from chrome browser. Just follow these things:
- Go to Settings > Show Advanced Settings > Change Proxy Settings.
- Now, Choose Content tab and rest of the things are same.
I hope, It will solve your problem.
5. Disable Antivirus or Firewall to Fix ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID
Sometimes, Your antivirus or firewall programs can mess with https sites. As a result, Chrome may show you some kinds of ssl error message. So, I recommend you to disable the security programs temporarily and see if it helps you. In case, It doesn’t help, Follow next methods.
6. Make Sure that Your Operating System & Chrome Browser is Up to Date
Outdated programs and operating systems are secured valley of problems. So, Try to check for updates for windows or any other OSs. Also, Update your chrome browser. After updating everything, Check if you still face that problem.
In fact these are the things to be done from the user side in order to fix ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID in Chrome. But, What if you are the website owner? Yes, There are more things to do. At first, See, If others are experiencing the common name invalid ssl warning problems for your website. Then, Take necessary steps.
Actually, There are many things to do. Here are some methods.
- Install SSL Cert Properly. In case, Your configurations are OK and you are facing the problem, I recommend you to re-issue the certificate with new private key. Make sure, Your common name for this cert is correct. Then, Install it properly.
- Sometimes, Your visitors from chrome browser may face different ssl warning messages even if everything is fine in other browsers. In that case, I suggest you to check everything more carefully. If your site is based on wordpress, You can try this plugin Chrome SSL Fix for WordPress and see if it works.
In some blogs and forums, Users may get suggestion to disable SSL warning in chrome browser to resolve err_cert_common_name_invalid. But, I strongly recommend you to avoid this practice. It creates unsecured environment in your browser. Browser SSL warning is aimed to protect your informations to be stolen. Disabling this feature can cause serious damage. So, Don’t do that practice. I hope, My methods will be enough to fix our problem.