Google chrome is a mostly used web browser. But, Users often face some common problems with it. This article describes how to fix Err_connection_reset which is one of these problems.
There are several things that can cause this problem. Normally, This problem err connection reset is a network related problem. Any unexpected changes in your network settings or the broadband internet you are using can cause this issue. In most cases, This problem is related to your ISP or the problematic web server. So, Users may not have many things to do to fix err_connection_reset.
When the source of this problem is from the user end, you can solve it very easily. The antivirus or firewall installed on your computer, third-party VPN clients or using the proxy and third-party extensions or services are some common things which are often considered as the reasons behind this error.
Fix Err_Connection_Reset in Google Chrome
There are some cool methods that you can follow to get rid of this problem. I’m not sure which one will work for you. But, In most cases, Any of these methods will definitely remove err connection reset, If the problem is from your end.
First of all, You should check one thing. Are your encountering net: err_connection_reset while visiting a specific website? or encountering this problem for all websites? If it is for a single website, Probably the web server has an issue which is beyond your control. But, You can try that site from another browser. In case, Other browsers don’t show the error for that website, You can clear chrome cache and cookies. It may fix the problem. But, If you face it for all or most websites, You will have to take steps to solve err connection reset.
I recommend you to open your Chrome browser in guest or incognito mode before proceeding to actual methods. Because Third-party extensions in your browser can cause various problems like this. If you no longer face err_connection_reset in guest mode, You should try to disable all extension to see if it helps. Anyway, Here are the most working methods to fix this error.
1. Disable Antivirus / Firewall
Sometimes, Firewall or antivirus installed on your computer may cause err connection reset problem in chrome. So, You can disable these programs and see, If it helps.
2. Check for Any Pending Updates
You also should check for any pending windows update or your antivirus or firewall updates. If you find any, Just install them immediately. Though chrome updates itself automatically, You also should check for its update. To do it, Type chrome://help/ in Chrome’s address bar and hit enter. It will automatically check for latest updates. It may fix err_connection_reset in google chrome.
3. Run Network Troubleshooter
To repair any network related errors in windows, there is a dedicated troubleshooter. You can try that to get rid of the problem you are experiencing. To run this troubleshooter, Follow these instructions.
- First of all, Open the Start Menu and click on the gear icon to open settings. You also can press Win + I to open settings.
- Now, Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- Find the “Internet Connections”, click on it and then click on Run the troubleshooter.
- Then follow onscreen instructions.
Hopefully, It will fix err connection reset.
4. Setup the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU)
This is one of the most used methods to resolve this problem. But, Any mistakes can break your internet connectivity. So, You should be extra careful. Anyway, If you don’t know how to setup MTU, Here are the instructions:
- At first, Open Network Connections. You can press on Win + R, type ncpa.cpl and hit enter. It will open that window.
- Now, See and remember your connection name.
- After that, Open start menu, type cmd and right click on Command Prompt. Then, Choose Run as Administrator.
- Now, Run the following command. But, Don’t forget to replace Wi-Fi with your connection name.
netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface “Wi-Fi” mtu=1472 store=persistent
My connection name is Wi-Fi. So, I have used it. If your one is like Ethernet or Local Area Network or Wireless Connection, Just replace Wi-Fi with that. So, For you, The command can be like this:
netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface “Local Area Network” mtu=1472 store=persistent
Anyway, After doing it, Open google chrome and try to browse websites. You should no longer encounter ERR_CONNECTION_RESET.
5. Reset DNS and Connection:
Another thing you can try is resetting DNS and connections. It solves most common network related problems. So, Read: How to Flush DNS and Reset Connection. I hope it will help.
6. Uninstall VPN and Disable Proxy:
Third-party VPN client installed in your computer can be responsible for err connection reset. So, You can try to uninstall it temporarily. Else, You also should disable proxy in your PC. To do it:
- At first, Open RUN, type inetcpl.cpl and press enter.
- It will open internet options. From there, Navigate to Connections > LAN Settings.
- Now, Uncheck Use a proxy server for your LAN and check Automatically detect settings.
- Now, Save the settings by clicking on OK.
Now, Restart your computer and try to browse from google chrome. Hopefully, This will fix err_connection_reset.
7. Reset Google Chrome
In case, The problem is not being resolved by the above methods and you are only encountering it in chrome browser, I suggest you to reset chrome. It should fix and correct all configuration in chrome and you should not encounter err_connection_reset anymore. To reset:
- Type chrome://settings/resetProfileSettings in address bar and press enter.
- Now, Click on Reset.
8. Repair / Clean Old Junk Registries
It is a less used method to solve this problem. But, You can try to repair registries. I recommend you to use popular and trusted third-party tools like CCleaner to do it. This may help you to get rid of err_connection_reset.
9. Check Your Router:
It is possible that your PC’s configuration is correct. But, There is something wrong going on your router configuration. First of all, You should turn your router off and disconnect the power cable. After a few minutes, Try to connect the power cable and turn on your router. If it doesn’t help, You can do following things:
- Check your routers MTU value and correct it. For more details, You can visit your router’s manufacturer website.
- Reset router.
It may fix err_connection_reset on Google Chrome.
10. Contact with Your ISP’s Support Team:
If nothing works, There may be something wrong with your ISP. To be sure, You should know if other users of the same ISP are also encountering this same problem or not. If this is an issue with your ISP, They will work to fix err_connection_reset.
These are some common ways to troubleshoot this problem. But, If nothing works, You can post your problem with full details in chrome support forum. I hope you will get help from there.