How to Fix Windows Update Error 0x80070643 – Best MethodsSeptember 12, 2018
- Open Start Menu and type troubleshooting and then open Troubleshooting app.
- Now, Click on Fix problems with windows update.
- Now, Go ahead by following the on screen instructions.
- After doing it, Check if the problem still exists or not.
- Open Command Prompt as administrator. To do it, Just right click on start button (Windows Logo) and choose Command Prompt (Admin).
- Now, You can stop these services by running these commands. I recommend you to hit enter for each command.
- After doing it, You will need to rename SoftwareDistribution and catroot2 folders. You may do it from C > Windows and System 32 folders. You also can do it from command prompt which is much easier. Here are the commands to do it –
- Okay, After renaming the folders, Start those services again. To do it, Run these commands –
- Now, Restart your PC and try to update windows and windows defender. I hope, This time you won’t encounter any problem like update error 0x80070643.
- Boot into clean boot state and try to update your PC. If you fail, Just try the above methods again.
- If clean boot doesn’t help you, Try to update or follow these methods in safe mode with networking.
- When nothing works for you, Refreshing or Resetting windows can be a good try.
Installation and Update errors are very common for any operating systems both for PC and mobile. Sometimes, Windows users may face various problems while updating OS or installing any software packages. Update or installation process may stop by showing an error code like 0x80070643. Most of the time, Users face error 0x80070643 during definition update of windows defender or installing MSI packages. But the solutions are same. This problem is seen more in windows 10 than windows 8 or 7. Many peoples reported they faced it during these updates: KB3106246, KB2267602 installation. Anyway, They were lucky because they could fix this problem. You may encounter it even after latest anniversary update of windows 10. So, Knowing solution will be helpful for you.
How to Fix Update Error 0x80070643 in Windows:
Most of the time, This error is related to windows defender. So, While describing the solutions, I will focus more on this security solution of Microsoft. Here are the method that can help you to fix error 0x80070643.
Method 1: Use Windows Troubleshooter
Your PC has builtin troubleshooter to solve common problems. Before trying any additional ways to resolve your issue, You can run troubleshooter and see if it repair the errors. So, When you face any update related error, You can follow these things –
Note: You also can download the troubleshooter directly from here. Then, Run it in your PC.
Method 2: Uninstall Antivirus Completely
If you have uninstalled your antivirus recently and have started using windows defender, You can follow this method. When we uninstall our security software, It may not be removed completely from our PC. Later, The files which remain even after uninstalling may cause several problems specially to windows defender. So, First of all, I strongly recommend you to remove your anti-malware program completely. All antivirus company have special tools to do this job easily. You can check out this list of these tools. After completely wipe out the antivirus from your PC, Try to update again. I hope, This time you won’t face the issue again.
Method 3: Restart Windows Update Components
If first two methods fail to help you, You can restart several windows update components including security center. At first, You have to stop these services and then youhave to rename two system folders. After doing it, Start these service components again. It may help. Here are the full details –
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
net stop wscsvc
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
net start wscsvc
Method 4: Check and Repair System Files
Running SFC and DISM commands are very common ways to check and repair corrupted windows system files. Sometimes, For internal windows error, Any update installations may be stopped by showing failure message with error code. These commands will help you to fix these internal problems. Here are details. Read: Fix Corrupted System Files.
Method 5: Repair .Net Framework
This framework is an important part of windows. If it becomes corrupted, Windows update, Software installations etc. may be problematic. So, You can download this .net framework repair tool from microsoft and run it in your PC.
Additional Methods to Fix Update Error 0x80070643:
I hope, These methods will help you. But, If you are unlucky and still have not got your problem resolved, You can do these alternatively.
If this article helps you, Please let me know. You may have better solution. In that case, You will be appreciated, If you share that with us 🙂