How to Fix Failed to Initialize Direct3D on WindowsAugust 22, 2018
- Initialization of Direct3D device failed
- Failed initialize Direct3D with current settings
- Cannot initialize Direct3D device
- Direct3D unable to create device, set display mode
- Error initializing Direct3D device is not available
- First of all, Open the Start Menu, type dxdiag and hit enter.
- Now, Click on Yes if prompted. You will see a new “DirectX Diagnostic Tool.”
- Look at the end of the System Information section under System tab. You should see the DirectX version.
- You also should go to the Display tab to see if Direct3D acceleration is enabled.
- You can install the latest update of Windows. It should automatically update to the most recent DirectX version.
- You also can directly download it from here.
- Then, Install it on your PC.
- At first, Press on Win + I on the keyboard to open Settings.
- Now, Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- Find and click on Hardware and Devices and then click on Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow onscreen instructions and apply fixes.
- At first, Open the start menu, type appwiz.cpl and hit enter. It will open a new Window.
- Now, You should see all of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages. Just right click on them one by one and choose Change. Then, Click on Repair and follow onscreen instructions.
When you try to launch a game on PC, you may see an error message “Failed to initialize Direct3D.” This problem may appear repeatedly. But, You can easily fix it.
Direct3D is an API (Application Programming Interface) of Microsoft Windows. Your computer uses it to render three-dimensional graphics in applications where performance is important, such as games. So, When Windows can’t use it correctly, it shows you these error messages.
and many other similar messages.
This graphics card related problem appears when you try to open a game or a high-performance software that requires graphics power. Notably, The users who play games on steam are more familiar with this type of error. It happens due to an old DirectX version, graphics card compatibility issue or other third-party software conflicts. But, You can get rid of it easily.
Fix Failed to Initialize Direct3D
You can follow several methods to resolve this issue. Any of them will work. Here are the most effective techniques to fix this problem.
1. Upgrade DirectX
Typically, You should have the latest DirectX installed on your PC. But, If you don’t update Windows regularly, you probably have an old version. You can quickly check the DirectX version. To do it, follow these steps.
Currently, DirectX 12 is the latest one. If you see anything else, you can upgrade it to the newer one. But, Before that, you should be sure that your graphics card supports the latest DirectX. Here are the instructions to update it.
Now, Restart your computer. It should fix failed to initialize Direct3D. You can launch the problematic game to verify this method has worked.
2. Update Graphics Card Driver
When your graphics card driver is not compatible, it may fail to perform smoothly with latest Windows OS, games or apps that require 3D engine. In this case, It may show you Direct3D related errors. So, You should update your graphics card to the latest version.
To update, you can visit graphics card manufacturer website, download the latest driver and install it on your PC. Else, You can use third-party tools like Driver Booster to do it automatically. Read: How to Update Drivers on Windows
After doing it, restart your PC. It will solve failed to initialize 3D error.
3. Run Hardware Troubleshooter
Still getting the same error? If it keeps happening even after you have a compatible graphics hardware, latest DirectX, maybe there is something wrong that you can’t figure out. So, You should run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter. It may automatically detect the issue and apply fixes. As a result, you may get rid of Direct3D initialization problem.
To do it,
After doing it, Check if it has repaired the error.
4. Perform Clean Boot
You may have heard about the clean boot. It disables all third-party services and runs only MS services so that users can understand if there are any third-party apps causing problems. It is extremely helpful to troubleshoot advanced errors on Windows. So, To fix failed to initialize Direct3D error, you should perform the clean boot. If you see that you are not facing any problem in clean boot mode, you should find out which third-party program is causing the problem. Then, Uninstall it.
5. Repair Visual C++ Redistributables
Repairing visual C++ redistributables is another excellent method to fix failed to initialize Direct3D. To do it, follow these instructions.
It should repair all of its internal problems and replaces all missing and faulty .DLL files. After that, Run the app or game which one was showing Direct3D error. Now, It should open without any problem. If repairing visual C++ fails to fix the problem, You can try to re-install them. It may work.
6. Replace Graphics Card
To get rid of failed to initialize Direct3D, you may need to replace your graphics card with a newer one. Because some old GPUs don’t support many features of latest Windows 10 and they also don’t support all games and apps. So, You can’t do many things to fix any Direct3D related problems when you have a very old GPU.
These are the most effective solutions to fix this problem. But, There may be other specific solutions for specific apps and games. If above methods don’t help, you may contact that app or game support to get better instructions to fix failed to initialize Direct3D.
Have you already fixed your problem? You are welcome to share which one has worked for you.