Who are looking for “how to fix 100% disk usage problem” in windows, I’m here to help them. If you are an advanced windows user, You may monitor your system processes status like cpu, memory, network and disk usage etc more often. So, Sometimes, You may notice disk usage is so high even as much as 100%. It is slowing down your computer performance. Most users take it as normal. There are a few users who think it as a problem. Very few users are looking for solutions to get rid of this issue. To fix 100% disk usage problem in windows, We will follow some troubleshooting steps. In this article, I’ll try to explain them. Before that, We should know more about this problem.
It is not a very new issue. Previous XP, Vista, 7 even 8 users experienced same kind of problems. But, Windows 10 users are unlucky to encounter this problem more frequently. Basically, This happens when you run any program, play any game or video. But, People complains about chrome and skype more. In windows task manager, It can be seen more frequently that google chrome, skype, firefox, microsoft edge or service host are using 99-100% disk. It can sometimes make your PC unresponsive.
What Causes 100% Disk Usage Problem in Windows 10 / 8.x:
If you don’t know the reason, It will very hard to fix 100% disk usage problem. So, It is better to know the reasons behind it. This occurs in computers with old traditional hard disks more. Because, That hard disks have become too old to handle windows normal disk processes. But, Sometimes, It can be seen in latest Solid State Drive (SSD) too. So, It is certain that latest windows builds have some problems and MS should take it seriously. But, If you encounter this problem frequently even in modern SSD, You should take it seriously. Normally, 100% disk usage problem occurs because of these things:
- Your antivirus software.
- Corrupted system files.
- Running excessive amount of services in background.
- Specific programs have so many features enabled.
- Viruses or malware.
These are some common reasons behind it. But, There are other reasons which may be identified by the experts.
How to Fix 100% Disk Usage by System Processes in Windows:
At first, You should run virus scan in your PC. See the result and remove if you find any. Then, Check the disk usage process again. If you see now, Everything is OK, You won’t need to try other troubleshooting processes. But, You can, If you want. To fix 100% disk usage issue, I would like to suggest you these methods.
Uninstall Unnecessary Programs and Disable Less Needed Startup Services:
I see there are many users who care about their smartphones and tabs. But, They have not enough concern for PC. Don’t do this. Like your smartphone, Uninstall all unnecessary apps and programs from windows PC. You can also disable some services and startup programs that you don’t need frequently. It will resolve problems like 100% disk usage issue. But, You should be careful. If you don’t know about any service, Never turn it off. Because, It can be a required part of windows. Anyway, Here are the things you can do –
To disable unnecessary services:
- Open start menu, Type msconfig and hit Enter.
- Click on Services tab and uncheck what you want to disable.
- Then, Click on Apply and OK.
To turn off some startup items:
- Press CTRL + Shift + Esc from keyboard.
- Go to startup tab and disable some programs from running automatically when computer starts.
To uninstall unnecessary programs and app:
- Press Win + X and choose Programs and Features.
- Now, Uninstall the programs you want.
- If you want to remove some apps from your windows 10 PC, Just right click on any app and choose uninstall.
- At last restart your computer.
- Now, Open process tab in task manager and see if it “fixes 100% disk usage” problem or not.
Run chkdsk Command to Solve This Problem:
Some hard disk issues are more likely to cause this problem. In that case, Running chkdsk command can completely cure your PC from it. Do the following things:
- Press Win + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin).
- Now, Run the following command.
chkdsk.exe /f /r
- It may ask you “Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts?”. Then, Press Y and Enter.
- Restart your PC.
- It will automatically check for issues and fix.
If you are lucky, It can completely fix 100% disk usage issue.
Disable Windows Search and Superfetch:
We frequently use start menu search not windows search. If you don’t need it more often, You can disable this feature. It will surely improve your disk performance as a result, You will get faster performance. It will also make start menu search more faster in windows 10. But, What it can do more for you? Obviously, It can fix high disk usage problem by system processes. In addition, You also can stop superfetch feature which can also improve disk performance. Many experts think superfetch can cause hard disk over worked. To disable both of these services, Follow these instructions.
- First of all, Open Command Prompt as administrator.
- Type the following commands. Hit Enter for each.
net stop wsearch
net stop superfetch
- You will definitely, See the result right after doing it.
Note: If you ever want to enable these things in the future, Just replace stop with start and run the commands.
Disable BITS to Fix 100% Disk Usage Problem in Windows 10 / 8 /7:
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is important for windows. Many peoples have claimed that stopping this service has fixed their problem and improved disk performance. I don’t recommend you this method until you face high disk usage issue more frequently. To stop this service, Just open command prompt as administrator like before and run the following commands.
net stop bits
Fix 100% Disk Usage Problem Created by Google Chrome:
Google chrome has a very bed reputation of higher CPU, Memory and disk usage problem. Specially, In windows 10, This browser is worst. Tweaking some settings can make chrome faster. But, This is not our focus point. We can disable some extensions, plugins and features that can directly effect positively in disk usage stats. Here are the things, You can do.
- Open chrome and go to Settings. You also can type chrome://settings/ and hit Enter in your browser address bar.
- Now, Scroll down and click on Show advanced settings.
- Uncheck Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly which was previously known as prefetch service.
- From settings, Click on Extensions. Now, Disable what you want.
- Go to chrome://plugins/ from chrome and disable some plugins you don’t need.
- Restart this browser.
Fix Skype High Disk Usage Problem:
Skype is another program that is being blamed by thousands of users for causing high disk usage issue. So, We can take special care of it. In your windows 8 and 10, You already have a skype app. If you use desktop app, Just remove it. You also can remove messaging app, If you want. It will definitely fix 100% disk usage problems caused by skype app. To uninstall them,
- Open start menu and type windows powershell. Right click on it and choose run as administrator.
- Now, Run the following commands.
Get-AppxPackage *messaging* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *skypeapp* | Remove-AppxPackage
Skype desktop app is mostly blamed for high cpu and disk usage problems. I’ve found a fix for it. You can try. Here are they.
- Go to this location – C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\
- Right click on skype.exe and go to properties.
- From security tab click on Edit button.
- Select ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES and then uncheck Write.
- Click on Apply and OK.
Some Other Tips to Fix 100% Disk Usage Issue:
I believe that above suggestions will be helpful. In most cases, These will work. Still, You may want a few more solutions. So, I like you to use two built in windows features which will help you to improve your PC’s overall performance. It also fixes incorrectly disk usage problems. Here are they –
Disk Optimizer / Defragmenter:
This is an excellent feature of windows. Your PC may experience slow disk performance issue because hard disk drives have been fragmented. In that case, If you run disk optimizer, It can get back it to normal and also solves 100% disk usage problem. Here are instructions.
- In start menu type defragment. You should see Defragment and Optimize Drives. Just open it.
- Now, Select drives and click on Optimize. You can start from System Drive.
If you have too many junk files in hard disk, It can be slower and you may experience high disk usage warning. Running disk cleanup feature can clean all unnecessary junk and temporary files which improves PC performance as well as reduce pressure on disk.
- Like before, Open start menu and type disk cleanup and open this program.
- Select drive and click on OK. Then, You can follow on screen instructions and delete junk files.
I believe, Utilizing these suggestions will help and you will no longer face 100% CPU usage problem frequently. If you have any suggestions or questions, Please use the comment box.