Windows 7 was introduced with an awesome feature. That allows you to easily create Wi-Fi hostspot by command prompt. This feature is also available in Windows 10 and 8. But a problem may completely stop you to do it. When you type “netsh wlan start hosted network” in command prompt and press Enter, You may see an error message “The hosted network couldn’t be started“. As a result, You can’t share your internet with other devices. The question is How you can fix this issue? Today, I came to give you some solution to fix this problem in windows platform.
Obviously, This command prompt method is the most easiest method to make your laptop to a wi-fi hotspot. When it can’t find microsoft virtual adapter, The message – “The hosted network couldn’t be started. The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation” will appeared in command prompt screen. It is a technical error. Most of the time misconfiguration of network adapter setting is the only reason behind this problem.
How to Fix Hosted Network Couldn’t be Started in Windows 10/8/7:
You can get rid of the reason by a few clicks, If the reasons are not serious. But, Sometimes, Repairing this problem can a be a bit tricky. When it comes to fix the problem, I like to recommend you the following methods –
Method 1: Turning On Wi-Fi
If your Wi-Fi adapter is turned off in your laptop, You can create a hotspot by command prompt. That time, It will show you “the hosted network couldn’t be started”. To fix it, Just turn your WiFi on. Just, Click on the Network / Wi-Fi icon on the right side of taskbar. Then turn it on. It may fix the issue.
Sometimes the icon can be missing. That is another problem. So, You can read this article: Fix Wi-Fi / Network Icon Missing.
Anyway, After doing everything, Run the execute the command and it may show your “the hosted network started” message. Which means the problem has been solved.
Method 2: Enable Network Sharing to Fix Hosted Network Couldn’t be Started
If your Wi-Fi is turned on and everything is OK but you are facing the problem, You can do the following things –
- Press Windows Key + R from keyboard.
- Type ncpa.cpl and press Enter.
- It will open a new window where you you will all the network connections of your PC. Just double click on the network which one you are going to share with others.
- Now click on Sharing tab and check “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection“.
- Click on Apply and OK.
- Now reconnect your internet and try to run that command and see, If you are still facing the hosted network couldn’t be started problem.
Method 3: Enabling Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter
This is a bit tricky method. You may find many peoples are suggesting you to enable microsoft hosted network virtual adapter to fix the hosted network couldn’t be started problem. But problem is that you may not find any driver name in device manager like this. So, What is the solution? Yes, It has. Just follow my instructions –
- First of all open Run by press Windows Key + R. Now type devmgmt.msc and press Enter to open Windows Device manager.
- From the menu, Select View > Show Hideen Devices.
- Now, Expend Network Adapters.
- Right click on Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter and select Enable.
- Now, Close device manager and open Command prompt.
- Type the following command and press Enter.
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Yourwifiname key=yourpassword
- You can replace Yourwifiname and yourpassword with what you want. Anyway, It will fix the problem hosted network couldn’t be started error in windows PC.
Method 4: Modifying Power Management Setting
Actually, First 3 methods are enough to resolve the issue. But, Unfortunately, You may still face hosted network could not be started problem. Changing a power management setting for the wireless driver can remove this issue. To do it –
- Open Device Manager and expand Network adapters.
- Double click on Wi-Fi adapter and click on Power Management tab.
- Now, Check Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
- Click on Apply and OK.
- Close device manager.
- Now try to create hotspot by command prompt and see what happens.
I think first 3 methods fail, Last method will fix the hosted network couldn’t be started problem.