Windows 10 users are facing a new connection problem. To “fix one or more network protocols are missing”, you can go through the instructions given in this article.
Recently, Many users have been complaining that they are not able to connect to the internet. When they try to visit any website, the browser shows connection problem type messages like Connection timed out. When users run the troubleshooter, it says “One or More Network Protocols Are Missing”. You may be able to ping any web address from command, but you won’t be able to visit any website from browser when you face this problem.
Without the internet, the computer is almost useless. So, This type of connectivity problems is very annoying. However, There is a few trick to fix this network protocols missing error in windows. But, I’m not sure will they work for you or not. Because the method that worked for me may not work for you.
Before going through the troubleshooting steps, you should get some idea which things may cause this problem. Normally, One or more network protocol missing problem occurs when windows sockets registry entries get corrupted or missing. It may happen due to any third-party software or services.
Fix One or More Network Protocols Are Missing
When you plan to troubleshoot any connection issue on Windows, you should do following things:
- Disable any third-party antivirus/firewall.
- Make sure time and date settings are correct.
After ensuring these things, you may go through the ways to fix network protocols missing problem. Here are the best working methods that you may follow to get rid of it.
1. Reset Winsock
As the problem is related to Winsock, you should try to reset it. Possibly, This will solve our problem. However, To reset Winsock, follow those instructions.
- At first, Open start menu. Then, Type cmd and right click on Command Prompt. Then choose, Run as administrator.
- Now, Type the following command and press enter.
netsh winsock reset
You also can try to reset connection. It also has the possibility to repair one or more network protocols are missing error.
2. Disable NetBIOS
Another thing you can do is disabling NetBIOS. It is helpful to resolve many network related issues in Windows. If you don’t know how to do it, You can follow those instructions:
- At first, Open RUN by pressing Win + R.
- Then, Type ncpa.cpl and hit enter. It will open network connections window.
- After that, Double click on the connection that you are currently using.
- Now, Doubleclick on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
- Click on Advanced, Go to Wins tab.
- Now, Check Disable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP.
Restart your PC and see if it fixes one or more network protocols are missing problem.
3. Restart Network Adapter
Sometimes, Re-enabling network adapter fixes this problem. So, You should try this method. You will need to follow those things.
- Open network connections window like method 2.
- Now, Right click on the network adapter you are using and choose disable.
- After that, Right click on it and click on enable.
Hopefully, It will solve the problem.
4. Refresh Network Components:
For some users, it removes one or more networking protocols missing problem. So, You should give it a try. To do it:
- Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Now, Type the following commands and hit enter for each.
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
Hopefully, It will help.
5. Network Reset:
If first four methods fail, you can try this method. Windows 10 has a new feature called Network Reset. It re-installs all network adapters, reset all components and fixes common issues. To run this feature, Go to Settings by pressing Win + I on the keyboard. Then, Go to Network & Internet > Network Reset. Then, Click on Reset Now.
6. Import/Replace Winsock Registry Keys from Another PC
This can be another helpful technique to remove one or more network protocols are missing problem. But, You should keep in mind that when you plan to modify registry, you should take a backup so that you can restore when necessary. However, To import WinSock registry, you will need help from another friend or family member. Because you will need a copy fresh Winsock registry from another PC. Then, You can import them in your problematic PC. Here the full instructions.
Export Winsock Registry from another PC-
- At first, Open Windows Registry Editor. You can simply open start menu and type regedit to find it.
- Now, Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > System > CurrentControlSet > Services > Winsock.
- Right click on Winsock and choose export to save a copy of it.
- Similarly, Export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > System > CurrentControlSet > Services > Winsock2.
- Save the two exported registry files to a pendrive or any other medium that allows you to transfer them to your PC.
Import Winsock Registry to Your PC-
- From your computer, Open registry editor like before.
- Now, You should export the same keys so that you can import them if needed.
- However, Import the registry that you exported from another PC.
- To import, just click on File and choose Import.
After doing these things, Run the following command and restart your computer.
netsh winsock reset
From now, You should no longer encounter one or more network protocols are missing issue in Windows.
However, There are additional methods you also may try.
7. Update Network Adapter
You also should try to update your network adapters. However, You can use driver booster to do it. It’s a very good tool to keep all drivers up to date. However, To update, it will require internet. If you face the problem with ethernet to connect to the internet, you can use Wi-Fi or vice-versa.
8. Reset Router/Modem:
Sometimes, Problem with your router or modem creates internet connectivity problem in PC. So, You should check their configuration or reset their settings to troubleshoot. It may work.
There may be some other techniques to fix one or more network protocols are missing in windows. You can repair corrupt system files as a method. However, You can try to update your BIOS as the last solution and see if it works.