When you try to launch, uninstall or install any program, you may get an error something like “The application has failed to start because the side by side configuration is incorrect.” In this article, You will learn how to fix it.
Sometimes, Something may not go through the right way. As a result, You may encounter various errors. You may face problems while opening any of your existing installed programs. One of the most common errors is side by side configuration problem. It mostly happens when you try to install or open any large software like Autocad, Office, etc. You may want to fix side by side configuration error by yourself. But, If you don’t understand this problem in details, It will be harder to resolve.
Usually, This error may show you a message like this:
The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.
This is not a new issue that Windows 10 users are facing. It was seen in older operating systems like Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 etc. Now, Windows 10 users are also complaining about this problem.
What Makes Side by Side Configuration Incorrect in Windows
Typically, This side by side configuration error occurs when there is a conflict between the program you want to install and any files of C++ library. This library is a core part of Windows and comes with it by default. So, The users who update their operating system regularly have less chance to face the problem “The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.” Else, Corrupted installer file can be another reason.
How to Fix Side by Side Configuration Error in Windows
Fortunately, You can repair this error by following some steps. Here are they.
1. Use Another Installer
Probably, You are encountering this problem while installing a software. A corrupted installer can be a reason for many weird errors. It is possible that you have been experiencing the problem due to an issue with the installer. So, I suggest you to use another installer to install the program. You also can delete the existing one and download the installer again. It may fix side by side configuration error.
2. Repair/Re-install Existing Installed Program
If you are facing side by side configuration error in your already installed program, You can follow this method. If you repair your install program that is showing the error, It may fix the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect error. You can repair programs by following these steps:
- Just go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Feature.
- Now, Right click on the problematic program and choose Repair/change.
- Then, Follow onscreen instructions to repair it
- If the repair option is not available, try to re-install the program.
I hope, After doing it, You won’t face side by side is incorrect message again.
3. Use Compatibility Troubleshooter
Whenever you encounter the problem while installing or opening any programs or apps on your Windows PC, You should run compatibility troubleshooter. Because, In most cases, Troubleshooter can fix common installation or app opening errors. If you are lucky, It also can fix side by side configuration error that was preventing you from installing or opening your desired program. Here are the instructions to run troubleshooter.
- First of all, Right click on the installation file something like install.exe, setup.exe, start.exe, etc. and choose Troubleshoot Compatibility.
- It will detect problems and recommend you what to do. You may see there is something like “Try recommended settings.” Just click on it.
- Then, Click on Test the program.
- Now, You should not face “the application has failed to start because of side by side configuration is incorrect” problem.
4. Re-Install/Repair/Update Microsoft Visual C++
As this problem is directly related to Visual C++, There must be something to do with it. I recommend you to uninstall it from your PC. Then, Install it again. Here are details.
- At first, Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Features.
- Now, Uninstall all Visual C++.
- After doing it, Follow this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads
- There, You will find all supported visual C++ download links. Just download them and install on your PC.
- After doing it, Restart windows.
It should fix side by side configuration error, and you should be able to install your desired programs.
5. Repair Corrupted System Files
If none of these four methods work, you can try this one. Here is a guide to repair corrupted system files. There, You will know how to solve all the system file errors using SFC and DISM command. It will help you to get rid of many problems on Windows. It also can be helpful to fix side by side configuration is incorrect problem.
Hope something helps!