You should update Windows regularly. But, When you face problem while updating, it can be very annoying. Now, You will get some tips to fix update error 0x800f0900.
Normally, This problem appears when you try to download/install regular cumulative updates like KB4013429, KB4093112, etc. Problem with the internet connection, misconfigurations in required components or corrupted components can cause this Windows 10 update error 0x800f0900. But, Don’t worry. There are some quick solutions to get rid of this problem.
Fix Update Error 0x800f0900 on Windows 10
There is a quick solution to repair this problem. You can follow these instructions to do it.
- First of all, Open the start menu, type cmd.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt and choose run as administrator.
- Now, Run the following commands.
SC config wuauserv start= auto SC config bits start= auto SC config cryptsvc start= auto SC config trustedinstaller start= auto net stop wuauserv
- Now, Try to update Windows 10. Hopefully, It will fix the error 0x800f0900.
If this solution fails, here are some other methods you can follow.
1. Run Update Troubleshooter
In case, You encounter the problem even after following instructions, you can run Windows Update troubleshooter. Because the source of the problem may be something else that you don’t know. By the way, to run this troubleshooter, follow these steps.
- At first, Press on the Win + I on the keyboard. It will open the Settings window.
- Now, Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- Find Windows update and click on it and then click on run the troubleshooter.
- Then, Follow onscreen instructions and finish the process.
Hopefully, It will repair update error 0x800f0900.
2. Reset Software Distribution Folder
It is a widely used method to fix any update related problem. If you delete the software distribution folder, it may save your days to get rid of the annoying problem that was preventing you from updating Windows. By the way, here are the instructions that you will need to follow.
- First of all, Open the command prompt as administrator like before.
- Then, Run the following commands.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
These commands will rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistribution.old. Later, You can delete the old folder or restore the backup from it. Anyway, After doing it, try to update Windows. Hopefully, It will resolve update error 0x800f0900.
3. Reset Catroot2 Folder
You will rarely need to follow this method. Because If nothing works, resetting the software distribution folder is enough. Anyway, To reset catroo2 folder, follow the instructions from this article.
I hope these tips will help you to fix update error 0x800f0900. If you still experience this issue, you can decide to reset all update components on Windows.
Have you already fixed this error? Which one has worked for you?