According to some users, Windows hello feature is missing in their devices. It happens suddenly. Again, Some users have claimed that it has been missing after windows update/upgrade. In this article, You will learn about how to get windows hello back, If it goes missing.
Windows hello is a cool feature available in windows 10 both mobile and desktop versions. This feature makes the sign-in process easier. If your device has required sensors like the finger print or iris scanner, windows hello should be available for you. As a result, You can easily sign-in by scanning your finger or iris. This is actually a secure way to access your device. But, Sometimes, You may not find it on your PC. This may happen suddenly. You may see a message like this:
“Windows Hello isn’t available on this device.”
When windows can’t detect the required sensors or devices, It may hide this feature from you. Sometimes, Windows hello goes missing if some system files become corrupted. But, Many users have complained that it happened right after windows 10 anniversary or creators update. However, It is a good thing that you can easily get rid of this situation.
How to Fix Windows Hello is Missing in Windows 10:
I’ve already mentioned which are the possible reasons behind this problem. You also should know the ways to troubleshoot this problem. Because, Microsoft regularly releases major windows updates. After these updates, People may find hello feature is not available in their laptops or tablets. It also may happen after upcoming fall creators update. Now, You will know the ways on how to get back windows hello feature.
1. Update All Drivers:
According to my experience this is the best way to bring back the windows hello feature if it goes missing in windows 10. I suggested some of my friends to install and updates all of the drivers in their laptops. It worked for them. After creators update, many users have noticed windows hello isn’t available in their PC. It may be a result of drivers incompatibility. If the drivers installed in your PC is not suitable for the latest version of windows, these will not work properly. So, You should update all drivers. Read: How to Update Drivers in windows 10.
Sometimes, Faulty drivers also can cause this type of problems. So, You can use Driver Booster Pro to update and fix all these drivers in your PC.
2. Update Windows:
With updates, Windows fixes some common issues that a large number of users face. Whenever you see any of the core windows features like windows hello is missing, You should check for latest windows updates. This may fix your problem and bring back the missing features.
3. Enable Biometric from Group Policy:
For any reason, If biometric functionality is disabled from windows group policy, You may see the message “Windows hello isn’t available on this device” in settings window. So, You should check and correct it in group policy. Here are the detailed instructions.
- First of all, Press Win + R from the keyboard. It will open RUN.
- Now, Type gpedit.msc and hit enter.
- Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Biometrics.
- Now, Double click on Allow the use of biometrics.
- Then, Enabled. Then, Click on Apply and OK.
- At last, Restart your PC.
It should fix windows hello missing problem in windows 10.
4. Re-Install Windows Hello Devices:
From your device manager, You can uninstall windows hello devices like finger print scanner. Then, Restart your computer and install it again. After that, Windows may start showing hello features on your PC. To re-install:
- Open RUN, type devmgmt.msc and press enter. It will open windows device manager.
- Now, Expand and right click on the device you want to uninstall. For example, You want to uninstall finger print device. So, Just expand Biometric Devices and right click on the device and choose Uninstall Device and follow onscreen instructions.
- After that, Restart your PC.
- Again open windows device manager.
- This time, Click on Action from the navigation menu and choose Scan for hardware changes. It should automatically detect and install finger print sensor.
- If it doesn’t do it automatically, You can install it manually. In this case, Visit your computer’s manufacturer website for further details.
After doing it, Check, If it brings the windows hello feature in settings.
5. Reset Windows:
In some cases, Resetting windows can bring the missing windows hello feature in your laptop. It happened with one of my laptops. I tried almost every possible ways to get that feature back. But, Surprisingly only resetting windows fixed the windows hello feature missing problem. So, You can do it.
6. Re-Install Windows:
If windows hello feature gets missing after installing a major update like anniversary or creators update, You can definitely roll back your PC to the previous version. But, If you don’t want to do it and all these four methods mentioned above fail to resolve your problem, You can re-install windows with latest ISO file. It should fix windows hello isn’t available problem.
Sometimes, These tricks may not help. So, You may need to follow additional troubleshooting steps to fix windows hello missing problem. But, It depends on the type of your problems. I recommend you to post on answers.microsoft.com with details of your problem. You also can ask for help in our forum.xtremerain.com.