Nowadays, Hard disk space is much larger than past. Software size is also getting larger. If you had 10 GB disk space on local disk C, You could use Windows XP as well as many programs. But now, You can’t install windows 10 or 8 on 10 GB hard disk. You will need much larger space. Else, there are many essential softwares which take much hard disk space. So, Sometimes you may face problem with it. If you are using SSD (Solid State Drive) which has less space than hard disk, Probably you will face low disk space problem. You can follow some tricks to free up some spaces.
Why You Need Free Space:
If your hard drive is full of files, Your PC may perform slowly. Modern Operating Systems take much more space. There are many programs which require more hard disk size to perform smoothly. Else, If you want to optimize your PC’s performance, You must need to clean up hard disk.
Ways to Free Up Hard Disk Space:
To clean up spaces of your hard drive, You can follow these methods.
1. Disk Cleanup:
It is a build in app in windows. XP to 10, Every versions have this feature. You can easily cleanup your hard disk spaces by deleting unnecessary & temporary files, logs etc. Usage of it is very easy.
- Just go to This PC (Formerly known as Computer or My Computer).
- You will see the list of local disk drives. Right click on any one and select Properties.
- Click on Disk Cleanup.
- Now, Disk cleanup will be opened. You can clean up by this way. But if you want more files to be cleaned up, You have to click Cleanup System Files.
- Mark everything and click OK.
- It will free up some of your hard disk spaces.
2. Uninstall Some Space Hungry Programs:
You may have uninstalled many unnecessary apps and programs. Even, You may have a program installed which all features are not necessary for you. Else, Many programs are space hungry. For example, I can say MS Office. It is essential for you. But it has Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access etc. You may not need them all. So, You can remove everything except what you need.
- At first, Go to Control Panel.
- Click on Uninstall programs.
- You will see a list of your installed programs. Double click on which you want to uninstall.
- Follow the instructions.
3. Optimize Disk Spaces:
After doing first two things that i have mentioned above, You will need to analyze and optimize your hard disk. It will free up some spaces. To do it –
- Open This PC.
- Go to any of your local disk’s Properties.
- Click on Tools tab. You will see Optimize. Click on it.
- Now, You will see the local disk list. Select on of them.
- Click on Analyze. It will take few seconds.
- Then click on Optimize. It may take a few minutes to 1 hour.
4. Cleaning Temporary Files:
Disk cleanup doesn’t always clean up all temporary files like chrome or firefox caches. You can clean them manually. But it is complex. In this case, I would like to suggest you to use programs like CCleaner which let you clean up all temporary files from your computer. But don’t use untrusted and unknown programs.
5. Delete Duplicate Files:
There are so many duplicate files finder programs. CCleaner also can do this job very well. Find and delete duplicate files. It will help you to have some extra free space.
6. Delete Unnecessary Files:
If you store so many movies, music and other files, You will face problem. So, Find which are not very necessary for you and delete them from your PC or backup them in cloud or somewhere else.
7. Reduce Recycle Bin Space:
This is another good option to have extra hard disk space free. You always should consider allowed recycle bin space and set what you need. To do it-
- Go to Recycle Bin.
- Right click and Select Properties.
- Now you can set allowed disk space limit for each local disks.
8. Reduce System Restore Used Space Size:
Windows reserves some spaces from your hard disk for system restore. You can modify its amount. You can reduce it to free up some spaces. Read the following Article: How to Decrease System Restore Disk Space Usage
By following these ways, You can easily free up your hard disk space.