Like other windows blue screen problems driver power state failure error is a nightmare for windows users. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE is also known as error 0x0000009F. It may be occurred in any version of windows. But nowadays many windows 8, 8.1 and windows 10 users are facing driver power state failure error. Specially who upgraded their Windows 7 to Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 8/8.1 to Windows 10 are the main victims. In this article you will know about this blue screen problem and solutions.
Driver Power State Failure:
Driver Power State Failure may be caused by any driver fault. Out dated driver software or incompatible hardware can cause this problem. When you shutdown, restart or put your PC to sleep or hibernation, you may see blue screen with a error name DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. That means this problem may be occurred when there is any changing in power state. You may also see an error code 0x0000009F in blue screen. Sometimes, you may face this error temporarily and it may be fixed with windows update. But if you face driver power state failure error frequently or every time you turn on your PC, it’s really a great problem. Then you should take necessary steps to fix driver power state failure error blue screen error.
How to Fix Driver Power State Failure Error:
There are several methods to fix driver power state failure error in windows.
Method 1: Updating Windows & Drivers
Updating driver software may fix driver power state failure error. To do it-
- Go to Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update
- Now click on Check for updates
- After checking for latest updates, install all available updates including optional updates.
Then restart your PC. Now open Device Manager and find if there is any hardware name with yellow sign. Update that driver software manually. To open Device Manger-
- Go to Computer Properties and Click on Device Manager. Or you can click on start and type device manager and press enter.
Normally, this method should work. If you still face driver power state failure error, then you have to follow next methods.
Read Also: Troubleshoot Windows Problems
Method 2: Uninstall Recently Installed Programs
You may experience this blue screen of death right after installing any thirdparty programs which is not compatible or corrupted. In that case, I would like to suggest you to uninstall recently install programs from your PC. You have to do it in safe mode.
Method 3: Roll Back Driver
You also may face driver power state failure after updating any specific drivers. In that case, You can roll back it to its previous version. To do it-
- Press Windows Logo Key + R from keyboard.
- Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
- Now double click on that driver name from the list.
- It will open that driver’s properties. Click on Driver tab.
- Then click on Roll Back driver.
Most of the time, Driver power state failure blue screen of death is occurred by problematic wireless driver. So, You may consider it.
Method 4: Fixing Driver Power State Failure that caused by Connectivity Issue (During Sleep Mode)
In microsoft answer community, I found many peoples were complaining that they were facing this blue screen of death during shutdown or right after resuming from sleep mode. In this case, It can be said that it is related to your PC’s power management issue. That’s true. Your drivers go low powerstate or in IDLE state due to saving power. When, You want to use your PC and or resume it from sleep mode, Its drivers have to wake up. But, Sometimes, These may not respond as expected. That may cause driver power state failure. Most of the time network drivers cause this issue. But, In this case, You can solve it by following 2 awesome steps.
Step 1: Set your System Power Plan to High Performance Mode
To do it –
- Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound >Power Options.
- Now check High Performance.
- Done. You can adjust your screen brightness if you want.
Step 2: Disable Power Management for Network Device
Now, You have to turn off power savings for network drivers. It will keep them alive. So, It will prevent coming back of driver power state failure BSOD. To do it –
- Press Windows Logo + R.
- Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
- Expend Network Adepters.
- Now, Double click on your wireless driver. Then click on Power Management tab.
- Now uncheck Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power.
- Click on Apply and OK.
Now, Restart your PC and see if driver power state failure has been resolved.
Method 5: Repairing Corrupted System Files
Corrupted System Files may create BSOD. So, You can fix it manually. I have already an article on it. Read: Repair Corrupted System Files Windows
Alternative Methods to Repair Driver Power State Failure:
Alternative methods are not recommended. Because, That may help you or ruin your Operating System and PC. So, Be careful before trying these methods. I’ll be not responsible for any bad things.
Updating BIOS may fix driver power state failure error. This really a very easy process. But you have to do it carefully. You will know how to update your BIOS from your Computer Manufacturer’s support website.
Troubleshooting with Driver Verifier
Driver verifier is an excellent tool to troubleshoot any hardware problems of windows. It may also help you to fix driver power state failure. To fix driver power state failure by driver verifier-
- Open start menu/start screen type verifier, select Driver Verifier and press enter
- Click on Create custom settings (for code developers) and Next
- Select individual settings from a full list and click on Next
- Check the following boxes- Special Pool, Pool Tracking, Force IRQL Checking, Deadlock Detection, Security, Checks (Windows 7), Concurrency Stress Test (Windows 8), DDI compliance checking (Windows 8), Miscellaneous Checks and click on Next
- Now click on Select driver names from a list and Next
- Click on Provider Tab
- Check every drivers that is not by Microsoft
- Then click on Finish and Restart your computer
Create Small Minidump:
You can take the advantages of dump file. Just create small minidump and analyze it. If you understand which driver is the culprit just uninstall and disable it. If you don’t understand the dump file, Just upload it to onedrive or google drive and post it to Microsoft Answer Forum. They can assist you to fix driver power state failure.
You can also restore your PC to previous restore point or reinstall to fix this problem.
One of these methods should work for you. If you have any other methods to fix driver power state failure error, you can share with us by comment.