It’s quite impossible to deny the influential position of Microsoft in the market of entry-level smart phones around the globe for last few years. Microsoft has launched several number of budget-series Windows phones amongst which the Microsoft Lumia 550 is one of the most popular one. Surprisingly, this phone is one of the very few ones that are parts of the Lumia Line started under Nokia’s mobile efforts.
Along with the mighty Microsoft Lumia 950 and 950 XL, Microsoft introduced the entry level 4.7 inches device- Microsoft Lumia 550 at October 6th, 2015 that’s unlocked with a price of $139 only (Pricing in UK and Australia). Lumia 550 runs with the latest Windows mobile operating system- Windows 10. Now let’s have a deeper look and analyze the specs and features of Lumia 550 to decide whether it’s going to be your next favorite Windows phone or not?
Features and Specification: Lumia 550 Review
- Dimension: 136.1 x 67.8 x 9.9 mm (5.36 x 2.67 x 0.39 in)
- Weight: 141.9 (5.01 oz)
- Body Color: Black, White.
- SIM: Nano Sim.
- SAR Value: 00
- Sensors: accelerometer, proximity sensor.
- Additional Features: Ambient Light Sensor.Cellular And Operating System Specs
- Technology: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM
- Band: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900
- Broadband Generator: 4G
- OS(Operating System): Windows 10
- Input Device: Multi touch.
- Intelligent Assistant: Cortana.
- Compliant Standards: SSL v3, TLS v1.2, TLS v1.0, TLS v1.1, Suite B ciphers
- Included Accessories: Power Adapter.
- Chipset: Qualcomm MSM8992 Snapdragon 808
- Processor Core: Hexa-core.
- Clock Speed: 1.1 GHz Quad Core.
- 64 bit Architecture:
- GPU: Adreno 418
- Primary: 5 MP, 2592 * 1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
- Focus Adjustment: Motorized and Automatic.
- Flashlight: LED.
- Camera Feature: 1/4” sensor size, geo-tagging, touch focus.
- Video: Video recording.
- Secondary: Yes, 2 MP, 480p
- Display Type: AMOLED capacitive touch screen, 16M colors
- Size: 4.7 inches (~64.7% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 720×1280 pixels (~315 ppi pixel density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 3Memory
- Card Slot: microSD, up to 200 GB
- Internal Memory: 8 GB.
- RAM: 1 GBData
- GPRS capability.
- EDGE capability.
- 3G (HSPA) capability.
- 4G Cabability LTE.
- Internal Capability.
- Browser Capability: HTML5.
- GPS: With A-GPS, GLONASS, Beidou
- USB: MicroUSB v2.0
- Alert Type: Vibration; MP3, WAV ringtones
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 5mm Jack: Yes.Communications
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n/ac, dual-band, hotspot
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- Bluetooth: v4.1
- Radio: FM Radio
- Infrared: No
- MHL Out: Yes
- HDMI: No.
- Headphones: 3.5mm.
- FM Rdio: Yes.
- NFC: Yes.
- USB: v3.1, Type-C reversible connectorBattery
- Basic Technology: Li-Ion 2100 mAh battery
- Standby: Up to 16h (2G) / Up to 14 h (3G)/Upto 17 hours (4G)
- Wireless Charging: No.
Music player, MP3/WAV/eAAC+ player, Video recorder, Radio (Internet Radio, FM Radio), Loudspeaker, YouTube Player.
SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Pushmail, IM, Call records.
Personal And Business Productivity
Calendar, Calculator, Alarm, Clock, Document viewer, Phonebook, Phonebook Capacity (Unlimited).
For More information on Lumia 950 features and specifications, visit the Official Microsoft Release on Lumia 550.
Price and Availability
The Microsoft Lumia 950 starts with $139 in the USA. And in other countries, you need to check with carriers as the price and payment will vary according to the AT&T and the payment plan. Here are some more sources of availability in several countries worldwide-
- UK: Carphone Warehouse/PAYG price with a retail price £59.99.
- France: Amazon offers sales at France.
- Spain: Lumia 550 is available at Spain via Amazon Spain.
- Europe: The best price of Lumia 550 is EUR 117.
- Germany: In Germany, the price of Lumia 550 is EUR 118.41.
At the first impression form the specs list, Microsoft Lumia 550 will catch will eye with some amazing features to run it out of the box. It brings powerful features like best version of Cortana yet, Microsoft Office, the new Windows web browser, Microsoft One Drive and also a customizable look than the previous versions of Windows phones.
The battery life and power is not massive, but quite perfect for a Windows phone of this size and specifications. The 2100 mAh battery is quite sufficient to run along day quite comfortably. Also, the memory, that have a internet capacity of 8 GB and a (up to) 32 expandable microSD card slot is more than enough to play games, watch movies, videos and listen to music.
Also, many of the other features can be marked as good of Microsoft Lumia 550. So, from an overall analysis, we can say that a great screen size(compared to the (price), expandable storage, reasonable camera, 4G and the sturdy build have made the Lumia 550 a real bargain.
Talking about the negative aspects of the design- frankly, Lumia 550 has got a number of aspects to work on. Firstly it comes on the Low performance chipset. Also, continuum support is absent in the phone that would lead the users to be deprived of the latest smart features of Windows phones. The material- black polycarbonate is quite smudge-phone. Also, I have to say that if you are a long term old Windows phone user, the design may look old and mainstream to you.
Section Based Comparative Discussion
Hardware and Design
In the hardware, structure and design of Lumia 550, you won’t find any major change than the previous versions of the same genre of Windows phones. It comes from almost the same model of its predecessors from Microsoft. We can say as example- Microsoft Lumia 640 to compare between. Polycarbonate is the core element used int the design of the body, which os not the best obviously.
Talking about the design and interface, you can be writing happy with it. A smart outlook and ways-to-carry device will lead you to a good Lumia experience.
Powered by a smart and fast Qualcomm MSM8992 1.1 GHz processor, this phone can be a good companion of you. Along with the processor and RAM, the dual home screen like Windows 7 and 6 will let you to exchange between the toggled homepages. Both of the screens are scrollable.
Apps and Virtual Assistance
Handling apps and widgets have become easier with Lumia 950. Like Apple, this can handle apps running in the background and almost every app gets terminated by hitting the window key. So this feature of suspending apps in background will increase the speed and battery life which will lead you to a great apps experience.
Also, talking about virtual assistance, Apple’s Siri and Google’s Goggle Now, the virtual assistant from Lumia 550- Cortana will recognize your voice and take commands to find news, websites from the web or to perform personal offline tasks like music, file management etc.
The Microsoft Lumia 550 comes up with a 5 MP camera with autofocus feature and a ¼’’ type sensor with f/2.4 aperture. The LED flash will let you to capture and record important moments in details.
One negative aspects that had been received as a bad feedback about the camera of Lumia 550, is the removal of the Panorama feature from the camera. Yet, it didn’t come up with any alternative feature to take 3600
Anyhow, I;ve got some sample images and a video taken by the Lumia 550.
Images with the camera of Lumia 550-
A 4’’ screen with resolution of 720×1280 and pixel density of 315v ppi is a quite sharp one to use relentlessly. Also, the retina display territory RGB led is quite comfortable with the eyes.
Here we have a microscopic image of the RGB from the display of Lumia 550-
The texts, images and videos renders quite smoothly. Even the small texts are quite readable and comfortable for eyes. The decent looking front and the beautiful color combination will appear with a smart look in front of you.
The 2100 mAh Li-ion battery equipped in Lumia 550 is a very promising one to provide a extended lifetime. Almost 670h+ standby battery lifetime and up to 14h talk time is a very smart battery edition.
The Microsoft Lumia 550 has a endurance rating of 42 hours. But one negative battery experience was noticed while continuous video playback was going through the device. The result was a nudge of over 5 hours.
- Rivali in GSMArena at 16 Dec, 2015– ‘cheap with cool spec and really simple design,,,’
- Insane In GSMArena at 16 Noz, 2015– ‘As compared to Samsung mobile phones Microsoft is best phones ever.. Even it is affordable nd also it was great experience for using Windows 10 in handset… In 130euro Microsoft lumia550 gives u bundles of features nd its better then any Android OS in same price and in any manner..’
- Sefin in GSMArena at 16 Dec, 2015– I don’t get the hate. I bought 550 to see what windows 10 are and it sold me… Now I have 950XL as my dad broke his phone so I am going to give 550.for this price Lumia 550 is awesome phone. I can’t help it. System is mostly smooth and fast. Yes, sometimes it takes some time to open stuff. But it is not that bad.CPU would be better if it was faster, but what to expect for this price…
Display is nice, pictures are actually quite nice for this camera, LTE is great bonus (is working great where I am living. GPS and navy was working fine for me as well.so for me in this price level it was 9/10 phone. I would buy it again and recommend it to any user who doesn’t need much power…