Microsoft Lumia 950 Review- The Smartphone PCSeptember 22, 2018
- Dimension: Width x Depth x Height (2.88 in x 0.32 in x 5.79 in)
- Weight: 150 g/ 29 oz.
- Body Color: Black
- SAR Value: 58 W/kg (body) / 0.47 W/kg (head)
- Sensors: accelerometer, ambient light sensor, barometer, gyro sensor, magnetometer, proximity sensor.
- Additional Features: Alarm Clock, DLNA Certified, Kid’s Corner, Lumia Color profile, MIMO technology, Noise Cancellation Technology, Power Saving Mode, Projection Screen, SensorCore technology, TTY compatible, Text-to-Speech (text recognition), Wi-Fi Calling, Word Flow keyboard, four microphones, sharing media via DLNA.
Cellular And Operating System Specs
- Technology: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM
- Band: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900
- Broadband Generator: 4G
- OS(Operating System): Windows 10
- Input Device: Multi touch.
- Intelligent Assistant:
- Compliant Standards: SSL v3, TLS v1.2, TLS v1.0, TLS v1.1, Suite B ciphers
- Included Accessories: Power Adapter.
- Chipset: Qualcomm MSM8992 Snapdragon 808
- Processor Core: Hexa-core.
- Clock Speed: 1800 MHz
- 64 bit Architecture:
- GPU: Adreno 418
- Primary: 20 MP, 4992 х 3744 pixels, Carl Zeiss optics, optical image stabilization, autofocus, triple-LED RGB flash.
- Focus Adjustment: Motorized and Automatic.
- Video: 2160p@30fps, optical stabilization, stereo sound rec..
- Secondary: Yes, 5 MP, 1080p
- Other Camera Features: 6-piece lens, Continuous autofocus, Fast AF, Optical Image Stabilizer (OIS), PureView technology, backside illumination sensor, video recording.
- Display Type: AMOLED capacitive touch screen, 16M colors
- Size: 2 inches (~70.5% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1440 x 2560 pixels (~564 ppi pixel density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Card Slot: microSD, up to 200 GB
- Internal Memory: 32 GB.
- RAM: 3 GB
- Alert Type: Vibration; MP3, WAV ringtones
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 5mm Jack: Yes.
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, hotspot
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- Bluetooth: 1, A2DP
- Radio: FM Radio
- USB: 1, Type-C reversible connector
- Basic Techlology: Li-Ion 3000 mAh battery
- Standby: Up to 288 h (2G) / Up to 288 h (3G)
- Talktime: Up to 23 h (2G) / Up to 18 h (3G)
- Music Play: Up to 67 h
- Wireless Charging:
- Microsoft Continuum support
- Wireless charging (Qi-enabled) – market dependent
- Fast charging
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- MP3/WAV/eAAC+ player
- OneDrive (15 GB cloud storage)
- Document viewer
- Video/photo editor
With a great approach of Microsoft to get over any average Android smartphone while design is concerned, it will remind you a lot of Google Nexes 5X in size, style and color. It’s a nice palm-friendly fit for one-handed use with a bit of extra scratch. A Gorilla Glass-3 covered front and a glossy back will be one of the most comfortable device to use.
Powered by the popular 64-bit Qualcom hexa core processor and a faster 1.82 GHz dual-core chip, Lumia 950 will be one of your best mobile experiences. The Same combination is also found at Blackberry Priv, LG V10 and Moto X Style but a 3 GB RAM instead of 2GB has boosted up the performance a lot in Lumia 950.
In Lumia 950, Contimuum is the most hyped feature. This works to allow you to dive into full scale working experience with Word documents and spreadsheets etc. It can be an excellent alternative of your Windows PC while you’re on travel because of this awesome accessibility. Surely, absence of this feature in iOS and Android phones can be a very strong take over by this smartphone by Microsoft to excite enterprise folks in future.
Lumia 950 has got a rear 20MP camera along with f/1.9 aperture, 1/2.4 inch sensor and optical image stabilization. An advantage of this camera over iPhone 6S plus camera is Apple’s camera suffer a lot from darker than normal In contrary, Lumia 950 boosts up the color of the image and reduces shadow and darkness effectively without too much of saturation.
The quad HD display with 2560 x 1440 resolution, packing 564ppi (pixels per inch) and 16:9 screen size is definitely sharper than iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus. Unlike from the average smartphones, it will serve you with a well enough with wide viewing angles and brighter display in outdoors.
- Masud in GSMArena at 23 Nov, 2015– After I have been all the device finally I’m using now Lumia phone. The great thing is very good battery and fast performance never hang like android phone. I would like to buy this Lumia 950.
- OlegMR In Thurrott at 24 Noz, 2015– ‘Literally the only thing better about the 1520, vs the 950, is the design. EVERYTHING ELSE in the 950 is superior to the 1520. In other words, in any respect that what the phone actually does, vs just how it looks in your hand (and that is not counting the display, which is inferior on the 1520), matters more, the 950 is the preferable device’.
- Robert in Redmondpie at October 2015– I will be upgrading to the 950xl from my note 4 simply because the 950xl offers resident call recording which I need and do on note 4 using call recorder by skvalex (records both sides even when using Bluetooth).
It had been 2 years since a Microsoft smartphone has crossed the mind of Windows fans. The last time it was Windows Phone 8- a high-end Windows smartphone that came up with a Nokia Logo and ran by Windows Mobile 8. Now the latest big shot from Windows is- The new Microsoft Lumia 950 (and 950XL, the sibling) is probably going to head on against iPhone and Android with a more powerful processor, capable camera, high resolution screen and many other features of current popular smartphones of the market.
But to be frank, the Lumia 950 is not going to be able to convince any iPhone or Android user to switch to Windows phone, but still it comes up with a whole lot surprising features for the ongoing Windows users. The question is whether the thin and light wonder of the year can impress the current Windows phone fans and provide enough of flagship experience which had been missing on this platform for past 18n months or not?
Features and Specifications Lumia 950
For More information on Microsoft Lumia 950 features and specifications, visit the Official Microsoft Release on Lumia 950.
Price and Availability
The Microsoft Lumia 950 starts with $550 in the USA. And in other countries, you need to check with carriers as the price and payment will vary according to the AT&T and the payment plan.
The date of announcement from the officials was October, 2015. And we hope the experimental release will be launched at December, 2015 internationally.
In the spec shit of Microsoft Lumia 950, some combinations of features are way better than any other smartphone of 2015. A modern processor (Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 808), plenty of internal storage(32 GB), lots of RAM (3 GB) along with a microSD card slot, a big battery life (3000 mAh), wireless and quick charging feature and some others can be swapped as the advanced side of the device.
A very sharp 5.2’’ display with lots of pixels (Quad HD resolution) adds to its evolution as a well performing device. The 20 megapixel camera is not breathtaking, but you can’t find any glaring issues with it. In fact, most of the users will be perfectly happy with the pictures taken by 950. There is no ground breaking newest technology behind the camera of this device, but the pictures it takes are perfectly acceptable. Here are some sample pictures taken bu Lumia 950 collected from trusted source-
A lot of the things you enjoy in Windows 10 desktop are here which will definitely add to your smartphone experience. Microsoft’s fun personable virtual assistant Cortana, the new Edge Browser, Windows 10’s mail (mobile version), amazing calendar apps are meant to create extra appeal to the big fans of Windows and lead to the same experience as Windows 10 desktop.
Talking about the negative aspects of the design- frankly, Lumia 950 has got quite a bland, plasticky and tacky design with lacking in design characteristics that turns it onto a generic looking rectangular slab.
Now let’s come to the price. Still now, it had been confirmed to be $600 (and exclusive to AT&T in USA) which is not cheap from any aspect. In fact, its more expensive than Google’s much nicer Nexus 6P and the most impeccable iPhone 6S. So, up existing of these devices in market, Lumia 950 is a clear odd out!
The Windows 10 Mobile, which is used as the operating system of the device, looks like still a work in progress. You can feel a lack of polish in it which you won’t get from the other commercial mobile operating systems.
Section Based Comparative Discussion
Unlike from the smartphones, Lumia 950 has got a wonderful power feature and it really seems like they’ve worked a lot to improve the combination of high performance and long battery life. The 3000 mAh long-life battery will be a definite exception for you if you are a regular Android user.
Video: Microsoft Lumia 950 Hands On Review
as for apps? 750k apps is more than enough to find what I would need.