‘How to redirect old permalink to new permalink structure?’ is a question of million dollars. There are many webmasters who had no idea about SEO suitable permalinks. As a result, They have become victims of bad permalink structures. They also can’t change their permalink. Because, They may lose huge traffic after changing permalink structure. Creating 301 redirect from old permalink to new permalink can solve this problem. In this article, I’ll discuss how to redirect old permalink to new permalink structure. It will help the webmasters to prevent losing traffic.
301 Redirect Old Permalink to New Permalink:
This is a very easy process with a wordpress plugin. You also can redirect old permalink to new from htaccess.
Redirect Old Permalink to New Permalink by WordPress Plugin:
Anyway, To redirect old permalink to new by wordpress plugin, You need to follow the steps below.
- At first you will need a wordpress plugin. That is Permalink Redirect Plugin. You can download it from here.
- After downloading permalink redirect plugin, Upload its php file to plugin folder. You will upload in /wp-contents/plugins/ folder.
- Then login to your wordpress site with administrator account.
- Now go to Plugins > Installed Plugins.
- Activate Permalink Redirect Plugin.
- Then go to Settings > Permalink Redirect.
- Now type your current permalink structure in Old Permalink Structures box.
- Then click on update options.
- Now go to Settings > Permalinks.
- Then set your new permalink structure. Read Best Permalink for SEO & Performance. It will help to know which permalink structure you should use.
- After changing your permalink structure, Check your old posts links. You will be redirected to your new url structure.
By following these steps, You can easily redirect old permalink to new permalink by a plugin.
Redirect Old Permalink to New from htaccess:
Redirecting old permalinks from htaccess is not easy. It is a complex process. I’ve a solution. But it didn’t work for me. So, I’m finding perfect solution. When i get it, I’ll update this article.